Compression Pinto

keith kelly

Hi all,

done a compression test this evening on a 2.0l pinto and go tthe following on a dry test 1234 10.5 10.5 11.5 10.5

this is a little below the what the manual says on all cylenders other than 3.

question is other than its an old engine does this indicate any issues

(Not a mechanic hense the question)

was looking to do the valve stem seals as she is smoking at the mo, bit concerned over what i may find once i have the head off.

any advice would be a help

regards

keith

Guest old_timbo

Guess that is in bar. So in old numbers that is 1234 152.3 152.3 166.7 152.3 psi. I presume the throttle was fully open and the engine was warmed up? I think if you check the valve clearances you will find them a bit big and you can get a bit more with them correct. Also, what cam is fitted? For a standard 2.0l I think the aim is about 175psi.

Tim

thanks timbo

unfortunatly i had to do it cold as she would not start for some reason! the throttle was fully open though. I have now read that a cold test is useless but if i am getting 152 psi on cold then it cant be that bad could it?

i am hoping to work out why she wont start over the weekend (seems like a fuel issue, she ran out last week and has not started since) and will try a warm test.

regrads

keith

thanks timbo

unfortunatly i had to do it cold as she would not start for some reason! the throttle was fully open though. I have now read that a cold test is useless but if i am getting 152 psi on cold then it cant be that bad could it?

i am hoping to work out why she wont start over the weekend (seems like a fuel issue, she ran out last week and has not started since) and will try a warm test.

regrads

keith

Hi Keith,

I think those figures are fine, as you know I have just done the valve seals and hours of monotonous grinding and porting. This and the felpro gasket seems to have moved things from 9 and 10 bar to 12.

So it seems a worthwhile task to do.

Andi

Guest mower man

Hi those pressures sound reasonable esp as you say the engine has some mileage on it, if you are going to replace the valve stem oil seals you might aswell give the valves a treat and lap them in ,fitting a new head gskt that crushes to 1mm will also give you a little more comp aswell Pinto's like good comps and the above ops will certainly be worth the effort regards mower man :good:

Over the weekend u hope to fit my front shocks then engine and box, if all goes to plan in a couple off weeks time I will do a compression test before running the engine in, then do another post bedding in, this will give a base pressure for an engine set at 10.7 to 1 static with an RL31 cam, I know that Burton have engines in there show room with 190psi labels on them