11mph Out I Now Know Why & De Laminating Tyre On M1

speedtripledan

Had a bit of an experience yesterday on the m1 in my voyager, my front off side tyre fell to pieces in lane 4 with my kids in the car unsure.gif fortunately it stayed inflated ! or i may not be here now telling this story.

Obviously now looking for the best price on tyres and have found that the car has the wrong tyres fitted, on the front are 225/50/16 on the back are 225/55/16 it should have 215/65/16 all round so now i don't just need one tyre i need bleeping 4shok.gif so the 11mph out is now explained. The other point to note is that they are all budgets after yesterday i will never use them again..

Its is like this all the way round and also has a bulge in the outside sidewall

IMG_0133.jpg

Erm, hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but that tyre looks seriously worn on the shoulders and the likelihood of a delamination failure increases significantly when the tyre's as worn as that. :shok: The inner edge also looks seriously worn (possibly a tracking issue)- this is consistent with the exposed ply and fabric.

I'm glad you and your family are ok, but this incident shouldn't have happened. Four news tyres of the right size and you will be safe as houses :good:

Erm, hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but that tyre looks seriously worn on the shoulders and the likelihood of a delamination failure increases significantly when the tyre's as worn as that. :shok: The inner edge also looks seriously worn (possibly a tracking issue)- this is consistent with the exposed ply and fabric.

I'm glad you and your family are ok, but this incident shouldn't have happened. Four news tyres of the right size and you will be safe as houses :good:

I saw it for real yesterday Enforcer.... thats the casing your looking at mate, not a bald tyre.... the tread as gone! let go and ripped itself apart :shok:

Only going on what I can see in the photo - but I can't see any tread depth on the inside quarter of the tread face around the visible circumference. A significantly worn shoulder down to the ply can cause a delamination like this.

But I haven't got the tyre in front of me so I'll just leave it that I'm really glad that Dan and his kids are ok! :pardon:

The tyre was a little worn on the the inside but no where near canvas( i keep a close eye on tyres as its not worth this or 3points) the the other side has a bulge in the side wall, the rest still has 4mm tread. Its almost as if the whole structure of the tyre is failing i will get the tracking checked when i bang the new tyres on tomorrow.

i think its a cheap nasty tyre that has been poorly made and attached to big heavy car or has hit something hard at some point which has weakened it.. i will see what the garage say tomorrow

i,m mates with him so will get a straight answer and hopefully a good deal on 4 new branded tyres

Glad you are all ok Dan,

I believe you should have reinforced tyres on the voyager aswell, that would explain the carbunkels in the wall of the tyre, Also 10mm oversize on the width would create a weakness in the wall,

I see it everyday mate, cheap budget tyres on people carriers cause they really cant afford to run that type of car, and these are private hire taxi's with paying customers lives at risk,

The main reason budget tyres do this is because the manufacture has used a cheap carkus, the metal frame breaks overtime a pierces the rubber, water creeps in between the two and before you know it your leaving your tread on the motorway,

Be carefull out there guys, a good tyre will save your life

Glad you are all ok Dan,

I believe you should have reinforced tyres on the voyager aswell, that would explain the carbunkels in the wall of the tyre, Also 10mm oversize on the width would create a weakness in the wall,

I see it everyday mate, cheap budget tyres on people carriers cause they really cant afford to run that type of car, and these are private hire taxi's with paying customers lives at risk,

The main reason budget tyres do this is because the manufacture has used a cheap carkus, the metal frame breaks overtime a pierces the rubber, water creeps in between the two and before you know it your leaving your tread on the motorway,

Be carefull out there guys, a good tyre will save your life

cheers mate thats what i wanted to know basically the wrong tyres and cheap one at that, what ever the cost tomorrow it will have branded on there

Had new tyres fitted today £450 blink.gif the car didn't cost much more than that. The garage confirmed what dinger said, i also found that the tyres on the car were 4 different types none of which had the the same load rating and only one of which was rated correctly. The car looks like a 4 x 4 now with the difference in tyre size.

whats next to go wrong then ???glare.gif Its times like these i miss having company cars !

So basically the issue appears to be tyres of the wrong size, different sizes and the wrong load rating, and not related to them being budget tyres?

In my experience budget tyres aren't all bad news. I used to run Premium brand tyres on my VW T4 - that's 2254/40ZR18 XL which were around £150 a corner. As I do around 40k a year I was getting through 2 sets of tyres a year so I switched to budget tyres to give them a go as they're around half the price.

I have to say that I honestly can't tell the difference, they last just as long, seem to grip well enough and I haven't had any other issues with them. Granted I'm not driving at 10/10ths all the time but then it is a 2 tonne van and long spells of high speed autobahn cruising aren't exactly a daily occurance. I've also had some bone-crunching pot-hole strikes too and no signs of punctures, bulges or cracking.

With the state of the road lately it seems that regular checking of your tyres sooms to be even more important now - though they never were a "fit and forget" item.

So basically the issue appears to be tyres of the wrong size, different sizes and the wrong load rating, and not related to them being budget tyres?

In my experience budget tyres aren't all bad news. I used to run Premium brand tyres on my VW T4 - that's 2254/40ZR18 XL which were around £150 a corner. As I do around 40k a year I was getting through 2 sets of tyres a year so I switched to budget tyres to give them a go as they're around half the price.

I have to say that I honestly can't tell the difference, they last just as long, seem to grip well enough and I haven't had any other issues with them. Granted I'm not driving at 10/10ths all the time but then it is a 2 tonne van and long spells of high speed autobahn cruising aren't exactly a daily occurance. I've also had some bone-crunching pot-hole strikes too and no signs of punctures, bulges or cracking.

With the state of the road lately it seems that regular checking of your tyres sooms to be even more important now - though they never were a "fit and forget" item.

Its your life Richy and your families if you have one,,,,

These cheap little bits of rubber are the only thing holding you to the road, Dan had a very lucky escape an now knows the reason why good branded tyre are worth paying the money for.

Until your in that position you wont see the difference,, even if your are in that position you may not be able to make that choice again,,, with years of motor trade experience and seeing the results of a cheap tyre, I wouldn t put anything else other than branded tyres on mine or my wifes car,,

Life is worth more than £450 quid,

Not digging at anyone, just making my point

I think there is phrase that applies to this situation " you don't get owt for nowt" "if there cheap there is a reason" even the tyre fitters who are not exactly minted said they would,t use budgets.

I just remembered an incident from 9yrs ago where basically I maxed a certain motorbike of mine out, when I slowed it down I noticed the steering was a bit heavy so I pulled up at 40mph I had to put my feet down to steady it. Got off looked at the tyre "flat" the tyre it turns out was ok the valve had let go ! Cheap tyre I would have crashed. Same bike different time and the rear picked up a puncture I was 2 up at motorway speeds only noticed on a slip road corner that the back was a bit strange same again totally flat ! The bike had the best tyres you could buy at the time.

Its your life Richy and your families if you have one,,,,

These cheap little bits of rubber are the only thing holding you to the road, Dan had a very lucky escape an now knows the reason why good branded tyre are worth paying the money for.

Until your in that position you wont see the difference,, even if your are in that position you may not be able to make that choice again,,, with years of motor trade experience and seeing the results of a cheap tyre, I wouldn t put anything else other than branded tyres on mine or my wifes car,,

Life is worth more than £450 quid,

Not digging at anyone, just making my point

Seems this thread has diverted somewhat from the original topic.

Dans original post stated that all 4 tyre were budget ones. It later turned out that that they were 4 different types of tyre, of different sizes, all with different load ratings and only one of them rated correctly. To my mind I'm thinking that the failure possibly has more to do with incorrect load ratings and sizes rather than the cost of the tyres which I why I was making what I think is a valid point about budget tyres. There have been a number of statement in these posts like "cheap nasty tyres", "poorly made" and "cheap budget tyres" when in fact the issue here would seem to be "not used in the application they were designed for"

Yes Dan had a lucky escape and we're all aware of how different the outcome might have been but the issue with the tyre sizes and the load ratings could have been avoided if it was spotted earlier - hence my statement about regular checks. This thread has over 300 views, I wonder how many readers have thought "I've not checked my tyres lately - I'll go and have a look now"?

I have an absolutely clear conscience about my own choise of tyre. I consider them fit for purpose, they are the correct load rating and so far everything is fine. Like you, I'm also basing my decision on years of experience but on this issue it looks like we'll have to agree to dis-agree.

Yes budget tyres can fail but so can the premium brands. I accept that ultimately a premium tyre will outperform a budget but in my application this would probably be at a point way outside of my driving envelope and I've always maintained that if you're getting anywhere near the limit of your tyres performance, you really should be looking more at how you're driving rather that the depth of your pocket.