4500miles Gaz Coil Overs Had It

speedtripledan

As the title says i have gaz coilovers on the front of my 2b and after 4500miles they are dead there is hardly any damping left they are now wound up to there highest setting and the front is still soft.

Compared them with new ones at dampertech on saturday. mine push in and out with no effort new ones are barely moveable.. apparently it happens ! obviously a load of crap then!!!

Sounds like you are having almost as bad luck as me...... :unknw:

Got engine in for a rebore and head refurb today. Hopefully ready in the next week. Wallet is going to be very light over the coming weeks :cray:

All being well, planning to be at the next meet! :good:

Interesting......I have GAZ shocks on the fron & theyev started to get a bit bouncy. From new I set them at 2 clicks for the road & 5 for the track......max is 14. Im now at 7 for road use & theystill feel wooly.

I'll take them off over Easter & see what thetyre like without the spring fitted....Im not impressed either...done about 6000 miles.

Bob

Guest old_timbo

Might be worth having a chat with Gaz and see what they say. Supposed to have a 2 year guarantee. I think they can rebuild used shocks too.

Tim

Might be worth having a chat with Gaz and see what they say. Supposed to have a 2 year guarantee. I think they can rebuild used shocks too.

Tim

Have emailed gaz but don't expect a response customer service these days is a bit poor i find in general. they can be rebuilt but dampertech (local gaz agent) wants £60 + vat new ones are £130 + vat.

Guest Ace Fettler

I had a similar problem with one of the rear shocks on the Westy (Gaz shocks all round). On investigation it turned out that the top cap had worked loose and it had pumped some oil out which in turn had perished the bump stop. I took the cap off, topped it up with some medium weight fork oil I had laying about the garage and put the cap back on with some Loc-Tite. It now feels as good as the other side - result :) . After this I checked the fronts and one of those had a loose cap, not as bad as the rear one and it had not pumped any oil out so I must have caught it just in time. The cars done 20,000 miles over 6 years.

Richard