No Acceleration At 60

Guest kleighton

Guest kleighton

Evening all,

A couple of weeks ago, I had a problem with my car kangarooing, I initially thought I was really low on fuel as it happened on a right hand bend (pick up on right hand of tank). I pulled over and the engine stalled. It started again fine and didn't happen again, which was a good job really, I was on my way to AB Motors the next day. No problem driving to AB on the motorway, but they said I was losing fuel pressure around 5 thousand rpm. On the way back, lot of kangarooing on the motorway, engine not always stalling. It seemed to struggle to run steadily at 60mph and above.

I had a spare, untested pump which I fitted, and on a run out the problem started happening again. This time at any speed and would only get me a couple of hundred yards and cut out.

I fitted a new pump today, only to find I am getting the same problem, it won't run/accelerate around 60. When it kangaroo's there's a whirring noise when I try to accelerate, although nothing happens. It's 2 litre pinto with 38 DGAS and standard points dizzy. I took the carb apart tonight and checked the jets, none appeared to be blocked. There was a very small amount of dirt in the carb filter.

Engine seems to rev and accelerate happily at lower speeds.

Any other suggestions please ? Sorry it's a long post, it's been going on for a few weeks now, all along I thought it was the fuel pump.

Thanks

Keith

hmmm,

i remember some people on her mentioning fuel pipes that delaminate inside and as the suction increases the side walls close up and stop the fuel flow. Or the same on the fuel filter in the tank.

I would think that you would feel a difference in the rubber pipes if it was delaminating but i don't know for sure. At least it is a cheap option to try if you get no other clues. a couple of metres of fuel hose won't be too expensive.

Although i'd still guess at the carb having a blockage. If you've got a compressor a real good blow through is always an option. My webber carb was blocked even though the actual jets were clean.

hth

try pumping the fuel pump by hand see what the flow is like, i once had a dutton phaeton which had the sender pipe blocked full of dirt, took many hours to find the problem

also some senders have a filter on the bottom, might be worth checking that, also i'd check the points gap too

I recon it's crud, start at the tank and work forward systematically, if you have decent flow at the carb, that will point to the carb filter or jets, then you will need to clean out the carb, lots of litle holes can get blocked in a Weber.

There are lots of holes for air and fuel in the body of the carb, these can also get blocked.

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest russell555

do you have one of those adjustable flow rate things fitted.... we had one on the rally car and found that is was slightly over restricting the fuel to the carbs... so at a certain rpm for long enough the float chamber would empty and starve the engine.. but at lower rpm there was enough to keep running ok....

Guest kleighton

Morning all,

Thanks for all of your help everyone, I've replaced the section of fuel pipe the filter was in. There's a lot of crap in the bottom of the filter that I couldn't see before. Car runs really well now, a virtual pint for you all.

Thanks again,

Keith