Help - Has My S7 Chassis Twisted

Guest outtolunch

Guest outtolunch

About to take my S7 for a MOT when I noticed that the clearance to the rear wheel arches was different and that the driver side occasionally rubbed. as I am on the heavy side I have had the springs out and swoped them around but no difference I can see no signs of anything colapsing and the only thing changed since it was last on the road a couple of years ago is the fitting of camber wedges.

has anybody else had this problem

5703136773_c2ca5be1ff_m.jpg

5703129237_6748036ea3_m.jpg

Guest red7

O.M.G.! Never seen anything like this before. What have you been doing with the old girl? :ph34r: Worth a good check to see what's up. Hope it's easy fixed matey.

Guest shaggy

O.M.G.! Never seen anything like this before.

Don't worry, mines exactly the same. I put it down to one FB driving it most of the time without a passenger.

I'll pop out now and measure the difference...............

to be continued

Si

Guest shaggy

Its 24 inch on drivers side, and 25 inch on passenger side. Never swapped springs round so don't know if its spring related or otherwise.

Si

Sucks teeth. Oh dear, we've had this on the road haven't we sir, been driving it no doubt, probably round town and on the roads, dear oh dear. I'm afraid we can't be held responsible for that sort of abuse. That comes under wear and tear see. Often see em like that. Probably been like it for a while. I blame the manufacturer. Something to do with the plastic arches not being a good match to each other like. Mind you come to think of it been a while since I saw one with matching rear arches. Don't make em like they used to. I'll take it off your hands like for a favour. Give you £50 for it and it'll still be costing me money but as a favour, too kind I am see. More suited to charitable work really.

Nigel

(I'd say that about normal from new for a monocoque.)

((Assuming you don't remember running into any solid objects.))

Edited by Longboarder

My old S7 (Mk 1 Sierra) now in new hands but still very well and on the road always had some variation here, in fact it was both vertical and horizontal. True wheel alignment was all Ok I always put it down to it being a kit and the chassis / arches tolerances not perfect, the dimensions never changed over thousands of miles and having seen it at shows since hasn't changed either.

Just keep an eye on it in my view if nothing's obviously mechanically wrong.

Guest woolly

mine was like that well still is a bit.

i found the wing was coming undone. and the strut bushes worn fixed them.

then told myself not to sit on the wing again whilst waiting in the car park.

ps don't now go a buy some 15 inch wheels. makes it worse you know. how do i know :rolleyes:

not sure if your back end is the same as mine (car obviously) but I missed out a rubber bobbing on the strut top joint recently and it looked like that, although you appear to be parked in a dip which may be exaggeration the affect a little.

Guest mower man

A lot of the Renaults of that era were like that and also I believe the NSU RO80 to the amount of one side sill being shorter than the other ---- more pub trivia? mower man :crazy: 8P

Guest MarkB

A lot of the Renaults of that era were like that and also I believe the NSU RO80 to the amount of one side sill being shorter than the other ---- more pub trivia? mower man :crazy: 8P

the rover sd1 was reputedly shorter on one side 8P

Guest outtolunch

measuring across the back also showed it dropped an inch can only presume weight ditribution causes this, so a spacer has been fitted into the top mounting box and it now does not rub the tyres and has a MOT

ps. dont make your spacer out of plywood this one failed first time around but strips of unistrut welded together with a piece os sheet steel tacked on were just the right sise for mk 2 spacer.

Don't panic too much, the nearside wings are about 1" higher than the offside, why make a matching pair of moulds? So by jacking up one side to make them match you are twisting the body. Check the ride height of the tub on each side.