Detling

Guest gdc

I arrived at about 11.30 as I had to go to work first I did offer a drive down with Dad but my 5 am start put him off, a bit.

The weather was glorious. Gbs did not do a lot of trade even with parts.

Bob I left the banner in a blue hood on the skcc stand with Kent toast masters on the side. But did not see the owner.

Good drive back with Graham got the terminal speed up on his zero and covered it with dead bugs. I had a bit of fuel starvation as we where caning it near home on the a roads.

Thanks for the company

Stephen

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greenwood03

I have to say that i'm amazed at the apathy from so many owners and Clubs. I've been visiting Detling for a few years initially as a member of the public just having a wander and looking at a fine selection of cars and in more recent years taking mine along. When it was held in ASpril the weather was at times 'iffy', but even last year on many forums there was talk about who was going, which day, where to meet etc - this year across so many club forums there was hardly any interest - which was apparent come the weekend.

The thing is that its a chicken and egg scenario - manufacturers arent going to invest alot of time and money without an audience, and teh audience isnt going to come along if there arent many cars to attract and hold their interest.

Given that the forecast was for a sunny day on the Saturday i'm really surprised that we didnt see more owners there, ok its in a corner of teh country as opposed to being central, but givene the road network an hour and a halfs drive there takes in a large area: Kent/East Sussex alot of west sussex/surrey/middlesex/ and thats without thinking about the counties just to the north.

From my own perspective i'm not really that interested in teh trade stands, i dont need parts so wandering is a time filler, we were lucky on the SKCC stand that we'd managed to take support vehicles which allowed us to have the luxury of bbq/music etc and with enough cars on teh Stand there was obviously a fair few people to talk to and interact with - which for me is the essence of a show/meet.

I hope that folks wont give up on Detling, it needs a slight injection to build it up again and hopefully next year will be better for all concerned. Well done to those that did pop along, i think the industry needs all the support that it can get right now.

Well, made it on Sunday....didnt find the banner under the bush Steve?

Met just one other Hoody, Andy Parry who returned the spare diff I had loaned him,

but no other club members in cars. Chatted to a couple of builders, but otherwise a bit quiet (& cold!)

Had a look at the new Healey look alike thatbut it seemed more track oriented than road, so a no-go for me....shame....just wish i could afford a Sebring with an LS1.

Bob

i have to say skcc had the best stand, bbq music scaletrix and films . and lots of cars on their stand .

all power to you guys for making it work .keep up the good work ,

mayby we could do a joint venture in the future .if our guys and gals can be arsed ?

we cant knock a club that is willing , and able to command such numbers at a show ,that was so poorly attended.

well done guys , and galls .

mayby see some of you at the luton show and at newark .

graham

INMYHO

Guest boggybogstar

Thanks Dad

I must admit our stand (SKCC) was the best thing at the show in my opinion, Ive only just shaken off the headache from Saturday night!, we ended up being the source of entertainement well into the early hours!

I wandered over to the Rhocar stand but there was only a few cars with no owners about, must say I do like your car - very nice, pity you (or the others) werent around because we all dissapeared for a quick run out on Saturday afternoon and we were keen to invite others to join in with us - maybe next time.

Wont be at Newark unfortunaly - 6 of us will be on a 10 day Alps trip - cant wait

thanks tony for the kind words re the car .

sorry i missed the run out , the luton show is i believe the largest 1 day show in the country .

i would be very pleased to have some of your members attend and share the pitch.

date is 12th june , all welcome to stay over here night before .

if any of your members are interested please let me know i have places for 25 cars but i can increce

if required . i cant guarentee the weather , but if you stay over here i will guarentee a bbq and beer and music .all marques welcome .only just up the m1. j10.

graham

aka dad

Guest boggybogstar

Dad

what a shame, i think we could have organised something along those lines but weve already commited to a Le Mans 24 hour recreation party that will take a load of our members.

Would like to do some sort of a joint one though at sometime, I was talking to a few people and trying to suggest that we try to recreate what we did at Detling later in the year sometime, and also to 'make it large' with other clubs.

The logistics are the problem to get stuff there, at Detling we managed to encourage a mate to ferry the gear in a van, apart from the scaletrix and cinema equipment we had freezers, tables, smoke machines and loads of other stuff - unfortunatley the thing that didnt come off is we had arranged a chef (in full chef clothing) to cook and serve us all day - we were going to set up a 5 star dining area with all the posh tables and more than one knife and fork for everyone - but unfortunatley that fell through.

I guess watch this space and we'll see what we can do - i'll certainly post more on this forum of our events coming up (as long as thats ok dry.gif )

dates might also be a problem, weve got a 10 day trip from Monaco through the Alps booked on 17th June and loads of other dates already in the diary for 'stuff'

Edited by Tony B

hi tony as a fully paid up member i dont have a prob with you promoting your events on this site ,

when that becomes a problem i will re assess my views .

graham

ps hope to work with you in the future