Vin Number

Guest Hammy360

Guest Hammy360

How do I get a VIN number? Is it true you can make up your own and register it? The car is at rolling chassis stage with engine and box fitted......

It's true.

I made up my own and had no problems at all.

The only must have criteria is 3.5mm min letter size, must be stamped into the chassis on the Drivers side and be exactly 17 characters long with no spaces allowed

I chose GBSZERO then numbers and finished it Shaft.

HTH,

Nick

i made mine up for sva back in 2007. I think people have said it depends on the dvla office. I think the worst they will do is tell you you can't have it and give you a number. But they will most probably leave it as is as they won't be bothered to change it.

mine was my initials-DOB-year started - year finished with a few X's to space it out to 17.

hth

Guest Kennedy48

I went to dvla office and asked. They said I wasn't allowed to make my own up. They said they contact me and they just send the vin numer through the post. I wouldncheck with dvla incase different offices have different thoughts

luke

How about

DVLAINCONSISTENCY

Should pass if it's stamped at least 3.5mm high

Tell me about it. I was told categorically that they would issue it and I wasn't allowed to make one up. To get on issued I had to take the car to them for the built up vehicle inspection. So on to a trailer it went and to the VRO in Preston where parking is a nightmare in a car never mind a car with a transporter trailer on the back. Man comes out and looks at the car (never even took the cover off the cockpit) and disappears back into office. Re-appears a couple of minutes later saying he's forgotten to check the chassis number. I tell him it hasn't got one and I was told it had to come for this inspection to be issued one. He creases his brow and says "Oh you should just have made one up"

I consoled myself by not telling him that he had left his Maglite on the trailer.

The VIN numbers of both my GTM's are 3 characters long.

Iain

Guest Alan_builder

Here we go again!

The DVLA system is that the manufacturer supplies the serial number. It always has been!

Richard Stuart to put the invoice number preceded by your own characters to make up the 17? (cant remember if 17 is absolutely correct but it is on my web page).

GBS may say otherwise.

Write to DVLA Theal or fax them, again their number is on my web,

Guest Hammy360

Here we go again!

The DVLA system is that the manufacturer supplies the serial number. It always has been!

Richard Stuart to put the invoice number preceded by your own characters to make up the 17? (cant remember if 17 is absolutely correct but it is on my web page).

GBS may say otherwise.

Write to DVLA Theal or fax them, again their number is on my web,

IS ANY!! Of this simple............. OK I know youre all gonna come back and say NO! :girl_devil:

Nope - and you won't get a definite answer from the people in power. The best bet seems to be to ask them what they want and then do that. Get it in writing from them because they can and will change their answer and if you end up speaking to a different person their answers will be different from the other guy's answers.

In your position - I would make up a chassis number that sounds legitmate. As suggested maybe an invoice number and significant dates plus your initials etc. I'd then speak to them and make out that it was supplied with the kit and is it OK to use it pretty please. If they are happy then use it and if not then they can issue one.

Get it in writing.

Iain