Camber On Rear Wheels

Guest Kennedy48

What he said.

Or change the ride height.

There is no adjustment built in. The design of the semi-trailing arm means that the wheel is vertical at the Sierra's standard ride height but as the height drops the negative camber increases. This is fine on a Sierra since it means that when you stick it into a corner with some gusto the wheel remains vertical and the tyre tread flat on the road.

When using the system at a lower ride height though, you get permanent negative camber. The solution is to add shimming between the top of the hub and the arm to bring the wheel back to the vertical. Some people make wedge shaped spacers to fit - often referred to as camber wedges.

Iain

Guest Tim Norman

You can lift the diff as well. Use the top hole on the chassis with the bottom hole on the diff. Done that on mine and it worked a treat.

Guest chris brown

Washers do work but the real answer is to fit camber wedges, contact Peter Bell (by pm) he gets them made up in batches and may have some

Guest shaggy

Washers do work but the real answer is to fit camber wedges,

Why's that Chris? Washers (3mm each side) worked a treat on mine. I've seen corrections using wedges that have over compensated on some cars changing negative to over positive camber.

Si

Guest chris brown

Hi Si

As you say washers do work but ideally the pressure should be spread over the whole of the surface and not just in the 4 corners which is the case with washers.

I've wondered about wedges on mine. Is it safe though to have the bolt heads stressed as the surface will no longer be flat onto which they bolt? anyone had a problem with with at all?

If i had time and a space back axle i'd consider cutting and welding the ends of the wishbones at the correct angle. or would this be over the top?

Why's that Chris? Washers (3mm each side) worked a treat on mine. I've seen corrections using wedges that have over compensated on some cars changing negative to over positive camber.

Si

This is a banger racing fix,not engineered;to complete the tapered shims set-up a set of tapered washers should be used to ensure bolts are not over stressed on one side.Would imagine safety factor of hub fixings is reduced with washers; but once again if you're happy with washers O.K --me ?? I used the Ford rear assembly as Mr.Ford intended & I'm Happy.