Front Sidelights

Grizzly

Hi All,

Calling all Electrical Magicians out there!

Never been happy with my BA9S 12v/4w sidelights, as they're just so darned dim.

Experimented a while back with some 10w Halogens which were much better, but didn't last long before they blew.

I then tried some LED ones but they've given up the ghost too!

I have the VG Loom and standard 1990 Sierra stalks.

I'm suspecting the bulb holders and wondering about swapping these out for some new ones, but I'm not sure if this is the issue or not?

Have now moved on to some 21w jobbies which are superb, but these are lasting only a week or so before they give up (see pic).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the root cause?

Thanks...

post-1241-0-50026400-1307734309_thumb.jpg

what led ones did you have? i have got a pair of these but bought from ebay via hong kong for a few quid. I think i put them in mid last year i think, still working well.

As for your current ones, overheating is the likely cause, as they are likely to struggle with the heat given off by the main bulb. Can you wire them to switch off when the main bulb is on? Are your sidelight bulbs located below the main bulb?

Hi Guys,

I didn't know there was a maximum allowed wattage?

Physically, the 10w Halogens and my latest 21w Bulbs are about the same size as the original 4w ones and the holder allows them to protrude into the headlamp void sufficiently enough.

I can't believe that it's the H4's that are melting them as the 4w bulbs never suffered. I'm running with sidelights on all the time mainly (haven't done much night driving lately).

And yes Andy, the LED ones I had were similar to yours, but not as big - 5 SMD (as opposed to your 13 SMD) SMD = Surface Mounted Diode.

Yes, mounted below the main H4 bulb. I'll have to look into the wiring if I want the sidelights to go out when the mains come on.

I notice that these ones are 'capless'. I may get some of these but I'd have to get some capless holders too.

Cheers.

Hi Nigel,

They are indeed branded as indicator bulbs.

My guess then is that they're probably not designed for constant illumination?

I like to run with my sidelights on during the day. I've had a few instances where other drivers have nearly pulled out on me!

Maybe I'll be buying a Volvo next :acute:

I've seen some 10w ones on eBay clicky

I might give these a bash.

Regards...

Guest Ian & Carole

Steve

Have you considered buying some LED "Day Running lights" on the front of your wings wired through an on / off switch on the dash ??

Need to be switched so they are off when you go to headlight on mode.

Just a thouight.

[quote)

Steve

Have you considered buying some LED "Day Running lights" on the front of your wings wired through an on / off switch on the dash ??

Need to be switched so they are off when you go to headlight on mode.

Just a thouight.

To make operation automatic could the live side of the headlamps be used for the LED "earth";when heads off LED's ground through the filament;when heads on 12volt both sides of LEDs so they are off. I know this works O.K with low wattage standard sides,not sure (untested) with LEDs.