Brake Pipes

David S

I was looking over the brake pipes earlier today and noticed that I have managed to put a very slight kink in one of the pipes to the front. Part of me me says leave it and see what the brakes are like when I put fluid in and the other part of me me says to replace the pipe. The pipe should be O shaped but where it goes round a corner it is slightly D shaped.

What are peoples thoughts? I know it is a safety issue but having not done this before, I am not sure if there are any tolerences to work with.

If I do replace the pipe, is it OK to just replace the part between the MC and just beyond the kink and joint the 2 pipes together with the appropriate connectors?

So long as it's only slightly "D" shaped it shouldn't make a difference;there is very little fluid movement in correctly adjusted brakes;may be a little more difficult to bleed 'cause that's when you need lots more flow.

Guest oddsocks

I was looking over the brake pipes earlier today and noticed that I have managed to put a very slight kink in one of the pipes to the front. Part of me me says leave it and see what the brakes are like when I put fluid in and the other part of me me says to replace the pipe. The pipe should be O shaped but where it goes round a corner it is slightly D shaped.

What are peoples thoughts? I know it is a safety issue but having not done this before, I am not sure if there are any tolerences to work with.

If I do replace the pipe, is it OK to just replace the part between the MC and just beyond the kink and joint the 2 pipes together with the appropriate connectors?

I done the same thing dave with a so called pipe bender-pliers type. I didnt want to do anythin about it really but think how much more harder it will be to get at when its built and you need to replace it!! Besides theres no fluid in it at the mo so alot easier as well.

I went to halfords and bought another roll of brake pipe-like you said its a safety thing as well so i would just change it-how long would it take you to do then you have peace of mind as well! I would change the run-no chance of leaks at joint then

HTH

jamie