3d Cad Of Components

Guest phil_d

Guest phil_d

I am looking for some 3D CAD models of components, does anyone have any CAD data they are willing to share? I am particularly interested in the front suspension and sierra uprights so I can design a better cycle wing stay for my S7. If I come up with something useful I am willing to share it with the forum. I spend my working hours stuck to a CAD terminal so might as well do something useful with it. I am also interested in doing some FEA of the components to get the strength right and the mass down and also stop the recurring theme of broken stays!

Phil

Guest The Modfather

Sounds intersting Phil. Sadly I am not trained in CAD, so cannot help, but I would imagine that this would generate a lot of interest amongst the forum.

Wing stays from what I have read have always been a bit troublesome. Even mine were a real pain, and still don't sit right, as they interfere with the calipers.

Good luck fella :drinks:

I use solidworks in my job, could easily model them up if that helps? My car is a 2b not an S7 thuogh but if you were able to sketch up the components I could model them up into an assembly for you one evening. You would need solidworks ideally if you wanted to edit/ add to the assembly though, you can get a free program called e-drawings if you just wanted to view it. I've often thought about modelling up my whole car, but it would take ages, and couldn't really see the point, can see it would be sueful for what your doing though.

Have a look here for starters:

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/Sierra_Upright

this shows some key dimensions of the upright which would be a starter and more detail could be added if you've got a physical part to measure. Looks like this bloke's got far too much time on his hands as there's some interesting reading on here and obviously he's put quite a lot of work in.

First off,how about a show of hands,to say how/when the standard cycle stays failed/gave a disappointing service. Are they failing in the wing or hub? Need to know above before smoke & mirror time on the magic drawing pad.

Spoken by an old idiot who thinks designs on a fag packet are "technical drawings".

Guest phil_d

Thanks for the replies, I had spotted the key dimensions on the http://www.super7thh.../Sierra_Upright site. As you said a good starting point.

I will model the parts on ProEngineer and then run the analysis in ANSYS, I don't have access to solidworks, but both packages can read/write STEP and IGES so if anyone does have any geometry already modelled I would be interested. I will keep you posted if I get anywhere with this.

Phil