Front Sidelights

Guest bluelewis

Guest bluelewis

Hi folks, just had a bad weekend doing wiring on the car felt like i wasnt getting anywhere, nearly there now feel a bit better now but i have a couple of queries

1) my headlights are the old style where the sidelights shine through a clear window only problem is the plug that is with headlight is just for a headlight and i cant find the correct plug anywhere so if i have to can i put clear lights on front cylcle wings to get through iva.

2) the indicator relay that came fitted was a electronic led flasher unit but this has blown through my own fault,i have replaced like for like but it will not work now

do j have to have led relay or will normal flasher 3 way relay do

all the indicators on front are led but rears are normal bulbs.

Ive now only got to put number plate light on then do the mi.d boggling wires to the dash lights themselves

cheers all bryan

1 Classic minis used sealed beam lights. Minispares should sell the correct connector that looks like thes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-HEADLAMP-LOOM-SIDELIGHT-BULBHOLDER-SEALED-BEAM-/150632944233

or alternatively just cable tie a normal sidelight bulb holder underneath the headlamp connector so that the bulb shines through the window in the sealed beam unit.

2 You'll need and led flasher unit (or an electronic one designed for towing applications). As your bulbs are mostly led there won't be enough current flow through the normal flaster unit to allow it to operate.

2) the indicator relay that came fitted was a electronic led flasher unit but this has blown through my own fault,i have replaced like for like but it will not work now

do j have to have led relay or will normal flasher 3 way relay do

all the indicators on front are led but rears are normal bulbs.

If you mix and match indicator bulb types, fit a dual load flasher unit like this

http://www.triumph-o...logy-5846-p.asp

or fit load resistors to the LED bulbs

Just noticed the fitting- they used to do a normal 3 pin plug type so you will have to search

Guest bluelewis

Thanks chaps ive just found them on kitspares but when i first looked the sidelight seemed to fix seperate but since looking again a different picture gives abetter view and they are the ones for 2 it will cost me just short of £19 delivered.

Thanks for all your help. Also on the indicator relay i put on a led flasher unit but doesnt work (it may be a faulty one) But just tested a normal 2 pin relay and they work fine but will it burnout if i use one instead.

:drinks:

Guest sadjagboy

I've got a couple of side light adaptors in the garage, been on the car briefly, until I discovered I had left hand drive sealed beam units, which were fairly regularly supplied with the kits in Tricky days, and I bought halogen units instead. They've never been out of the garage, pm me if you want them, think £6 for the pair plus what ever postage is would be fair? I'd advise checking your units for a LHD logo on them.

Best regards

Angus

Guest sadjagboy

both headlights do actually say left on them

I thought they might, you'll need RHD ones to pass IVA. I decided to upgrading to halogen lights, that's why I ended up with the unused sidelight holders and loom being surplus to requirements.

If you want them give me a shout, but you'll probably be cheaper buying halogens as against new sealed beam units and sidelight holders.

Angus

Guest bluelewis

The more i get into this car the more im beginning to find that it needs more and more doing to it.

cheers for that looks like im going to get new headlights then

both headlights do actually say left on them
I'm not 100% sure but I think that means dip to the left. They should. Mine have an arrow pointing to the nearside of the car to indicate dipping to the left. Both lights should be identical, i.e. there is not a left and a right one for the left and right sides of the car. The lens should have a triangular bit in the glass between 8 and 9 o'clock looking from the front to 'flat top' the beam on the right.

Lights may come with left, right or central dip beam for different countries.

Nigel

Guest bluelewis

I'm not 100% sure but I think that means dip to the left. They should. Mine have an arrow pointing to the nearside of the car to indicate dipping to the left. Both lights should be identical, i.e. there is not a left and a right one. The lens should have a triangular bit in the glass between 8 and 9 o'clock looking from the front to 'flat top' the beam on the right.

Lights may come with left, right or central dip beam for different countries.

Nigel

I think your correct my dads been a mechanic for 30 yrs and he said he didnt think it mattered if they were left or right .