Need Inspiration

Guest 2bsprint

Guest 2bsprint

I have just got my building certificate on my new garage and moved the kit car back to mine, so that I can start working on it again. I just need some motivation (and some more spends of course).

Any suggestions???

Glynn

I know when i built mine i hit the wall a few times. The mistake i made was trying to get it perfect first time rather than just doing it. It would take hours just to drill one hole that once done i wouldn't even think about again.

So if you are anything like me i'd say just do more, think less (within reason).

Honestly when you drive it for the first time and you know you put it together and its not just a mass produced box but yours, it is the best feeling. Even better when you get people waving and saying 'nice car mate'.

have a look at a few videos of caterhams etc on youtube that should also spur you on a little. 'American Chopper' always gets me in a building mood whenever i watch that.

good luck.

Guest Chutney

I say dont get bogged down on one task if it bores you/ is tricky. It's good to focus, but at the same time after several ours of wiring it's nice to do abit of welding etc.

As above watch some vids to inspire you.

Have another test drive in somebody's hood it will remind you why you should continue. Also same as above concentrate on the 'get the car done' leave the detail and perfections to after its road worthy. I am a perfectionist 'quality is my job' but after 2 years i realised i need to accept OK.

Guest snotfart

I have found with big projects it helps to do something every day without fail even if only a quarter hour,

that way you avoid feeling overwhelmed after a long break.

the continuity is also helpful with problem solving.

I know it's sad but I did a simple project plan (no time scales) with what step had to be done in what order etc. From that I built a "to do" list and just kept doing 1 thing at a time. The plan evolved over time and bits were added to the "to do" list but usually more slowly than things came off it! If you get stuck (in a rut or other wise) pick something else off your list but have no more than a couple of items on the go! Try and get all the refurbishing bits done first so you have all you need to bolt on when you need it! Take plenty of thinking time and don't regard it as wasted! Measure twice, cut once and don't use my rulers 7 tapes which despite measuring at least twice still manage to loose or gain at 1cm! The biggest problem I had was with no instructions was deciding how to do something only to discover that choice prevented something else from fitting properly so think like a chess player, at least 2 moves ahead!

HTH

Guest sandy77uk

working on the car is like going to the gym, you can struggle to get into a routine, but once you are in it, its easy. For the first few weeks, just force yourself to go into the garage and look at it, think what you could accomplish in the time you have before the film starts/dinner ready and then crack on, even if its only messing around with the steering wheel, or drilling a few holes in the tunnel for brake lines

Couple of tips I found useful.

Make sure your to do list consists of small items....no more than one full days work. Concentrate on the next job, dont start anything else until it done & dusted.

Even if you only have 10 minutes, fit a bolt, or drill a hole, or run a wire.

Its one less thing to do.

Tick off the jobs you complete on your job schedule but leave it on there.

Its a big boost to see just how much you have already completed.

Blag a ride in a 2B to revive any flagging spirits..

Guest 2bsprint

Thanks everyone

I actually got in the garage last night, admittably only for about an hour and some of that was spent moving stuff off the car.

I think I need to start creating a project plan, I always decided against it before thinking it is a waste of time which I could be in the garage