Dummy Struts - Options

Hi,

I was thinking about the geometry prob with the 2b suspension which from what i understand needs longer dummy struts to raise the top wishbone beyond 90 degress so it will pull as it raises rather than push.

does anyone know how long to make the new struts or is it a case of making them long and adjusting up and down to find the best place?

also if i was to make my own would it be ok to weld a 1cm end cap into some thick tube and have a hole drilled off centre so that i can bolt on a rose joint (instead of the balljoint) and at the same time increase the caster by turning the strut around to move the hole forward or back?

any thoughts/suggestions?

Guest snotfart

Yep,recently done it as you describe,the new dummy is 90mm long total with 50mm protruding.the off centre hole is very handy as it permits a juggling act with castor/camber.i used an 18mm rose joint secured with a 12mm capscrew and top hat type bush for safety in case the guts ever come out of the rose joint.the top wishbone needs trimming about 10mm to allow sufficient camber fine adjustment.the end result adjusts to 1/2 deg negative camber at rest building to 3deg fully compressed which from what i have read is pretty good.

Guest marsbar

Hi Having just completed the wishbone change, and had a brief few runs out, I cannot stress on how it has transformed the car, this should be the first thing you should alter if you have a wisbone 2b.

The car feels much easier to drive round corners, and a a lot safer, I suppose this is just a confidence thing.

The suspension set up is one of Old Timbos efforts , who seems to have got it right, I dont know if he could be persuaded to make another batch but it would be worth asking him, if not GBS have a version that I presume works for about £250.

This should be this winters must do project.

Steve

As per Steve above - I've had a set of Timbo's finest on the front of mine since early this year and the difference has been amazing.

It's got to be worth asking him the question.

Guest Alex Spratt

I would be up for a set if he made another batch.

I had planned on designing and making my own but time and working on the house have put a stop on that!

cool,

sounds like its worth doing then.

snotfart - what thickness plug did you go for? i don't want it pulling through/out. Is 1cm thick enough? or too thick?

i was thinking i'd get it made to fit inside the tube then chamfer the edge a little and weld around. Then if i can get a rod down the inside i might try and put a bit of weld on the inside as well.

Did you make the top hat bushes? or can you buy them somewhere.

Does the capscrew have to be high tensile? i'm assuming it does.

thanks all

Guest snotfart

the plug was 12mm thick welded inside and out,tophats were turned from 40mm solid but do not have to be that way,a bush 18mm by 12mm used in conjunction with a thick(3mm) washer would do just as well.

all capscrews are high tensile(10.9) except stainless which are not.if you can get them flange bolts are even stronger.

dave