Budget ?

Guest gazza1591

Guest gazza1591

Hi all

Due to a few issues my Zero kit car budget has shrunk to just 3.5k

This is only a starting budget then I will buy things as and when I need them and can afford them.

My question I suppose is the base kit is now £2345 And I want a few extras on it so will end up at just under 3k so will leave me £500 to get some extra bits like fuel pipes clips etc ? I will also require a dinar kit but not sure what I will need donar wise (can anyone make me a list?) and will I need it all at the start ? I will be going down a new zetec engine route and plan on a new reg so all new components

Should I go ahead and order a kit or wait and get a bigger budget to start with ?

Thanks for any help

£3500 isn't going to get you very far, i priced up doing one at well over £6500 with a zetec engine etc, on that basis i didnt do it i had £6500 to spend. how you do it really is up to you do you want a part built lying around in your garage for yrs as you slowly cobble the funds together? guys who have built them will be on i'm sure with real build costs..

Guest gazza1591

3.5k is a starting budget and then i will have anything from £200-500 a month to spend on it to get the engine, wiring looms, seats,carpets etc etc etc

was just wondering if people would get the basic kit now and then start to build or wait another year and get it all in one go then ?

£3500 isn't going to get you very far, i priced up doing one at well over £6500 with a zetec engine etc, on that basis i didnt do it i had £6500 to spend. how you do it really is up to you do you want a part built lying around in your garage for yrs as you slowly cobble the funds together? guys who have built them will be on i'm sure with real build costs..

Whats with the micro writing, my glasses dont zoom down to that size 8)

Hi Gazza,

I purchased the starter kit, with a few extra's and then gave myself a reasonable monthly budget (wife agreement). It gives you a chance to plan and schedule work, monthly, weekly of course there are a few times when I had to save a few months allowance to purchase expensive items i.e. ETB dials. You save money by looking around on the internet, visit shows to get some decent bargins, reduced VAT, no delivery charge. Please do not under estimate the cost of extra's they soon add up. But then I am in no rush to finish the build, if you want a quick build then I would suggest you save more.

Get yourself a decent donor then you can save and prep the donor parts, over the winter period. What ever your final decision don't give up, spend carefully and plan everything. All the best

Regards

Mark

Guest big kev

Just remember it's not a Race yet!!! my build has been ongoing for ages, my budget is stupidly tight but it's coming along and when the key going in the ignition for that first blast out it will be worth it I'm sure.

Then I'll show em!!!!

Guest gazza1591

Thanks for the replies everyone

I'm thinking I may just got the route of buying the basic kit and building as I go ?

I know it will take longer but still I think it could be complete in under 18 months ?

I read on another forum about the future of home kit car builds and it could change in the next few years ? I.e be banned ? Anyone heard this or know any more info or views on it ? I don't want to get half built and then they ban home builds ?

• 3 weeks later...

Budget....if you want a new reg your onto a hiding to nothing short of living in a caravan and borrowing parts from cars locally i don't think it is possible. if however you just want the car on the road for your budget then that is more than possible. if you exclude the registration costs. choose your donor very carefully and use everything as it comes off the donor. But a zetec on a RWD gearbox will blow your budget even before your able to get it running.

build the car on your budget and modify it later........

As for the future of home builds........that depends on the clubs, every time you see an old kit car on ebay with out its log book you know someone else is cheating the IVA system and your a day closer to it being a reality.

clubs need to stamp on this illegal practice before we all suffer the consequences. or. we will end up like Belgium where you cannot build or modify your own cars and wher even running classics is very strictly controlled. i.e. only on approved routes to approved venues. and only at weekends......

its also wise to keep in mind the actual cost of getting the car on the road at the end. Tax is going to be £200/yr, IVA i think is around £500? and insurance is going to be around £200. So there is £900 ish when you complete the build to actually use it.

its obviously up to you but i built my 2b using old parts and not buying all the fancy add ons. I have so much fun in it and i can improve if and when whilst still driving it.

Sure it would be nice to have a new set of gauges, shinny exhaust, fancy seats etc but the ones i have work and actually get use rather than sitting on a part build in the garage.

Don't know about the zero but i honestly think i put my car on the road for about £4000 but i did a hell of a lot of work myself modifying and building parts rather than buying. depends how you do things. You can make a dash with hardboard and vinyl that looks really nice with a bit of effort for prob £10-15 or buy a carbon one for £100+ and so on.

each to his own :)

hth

Gazza

Having either owned or been invovled in building plenty of seven type cars, unless you have the patience of a saint it can get frustrating having to wait to buy parts month on month and interest can easily be lost.

With the budget mentioned I'd recommend:

- Set your sights slightly lower and buy a completed car. Enjoy it as it is and look to improve over time.

- Take a bit of time to save up some more money. You could concentrate on buying and refurbisihing cheap donor parts during this period, making the final build more bolt together.

- As I said earlier, buy a part build project. Although it can be a ballache putting right other people's mistakes, I'm hoping to have a fully IVA'd Zero for about £1k less than your starting point.