Speedo Magnet Mounting Location

Guest ScottG

Hi All.

I am so very nearly finished the mounting of my new ACEWELL 7659 digi dash, I just have the fuel gauge and speedo left to configure.

img0302mediumw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I planned on mounting the magnet on the drive shaft coming out of the gearbox before it enters the UJ and use one of mounting bolts for the gearstick to hold it in place.

Can anyone see any problems with this? Apart from the magnet flying off at speed? I think if i key the shaft beforehand is should be ok.

Thoughts?

back end of gearbox will move around to much on engine power.

pickup would be impossible if not mounted firmly to gearbox, and even then it would be better not to expose electronics to the vibration in this area.

would advise diff front flange. chassis looks like 2B or derivative, and I know there is little in diff area to secure the sender to, most make up a bracket to hold the sender and mount it to the rear sub-frame.

Getting access to the diff area isnt particularly easy but I will have look, perhaps I will have to remove the boot to get a better look.

Will come back later with more photos.

mine runs off the original speed output, with a bracket fashioned from a cable end

easy to do if the box isnt in the car

will find pictures if you are interested

dave

Hi Scott,

I drilled a small hole the same diameter as the magnet and glued it into the final drive flange. Then used a p clip to mount the sensor, which i have now modified using two p clips for stability and to stop vibration.

post-4145-0-64507200-1327434227_thumb.jpg

post-4145-0-56454400-1327434257_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark.

Did you get access to that through the boot area? I haven't removed the "boot" to have a proper look for how possible this is. It seems pretty difficult from underneath.

Guest jasonmorris

I know mines a Zero, but I have mounted mine on the nearside driveshaft fairly close to the diff because it kept flying off due to vibration when mounted on the propshaft.

Never had any problems since and it is very easy to get to if ever there is a problem.

Jason

• 1 month later...