Mt75 Gearbox

Guest Boffy

Good Morning/Afternoon or whatever time it is in the UK. :crazy:

I thought its about time I started to ask the all knowledgeable members of RHOCAR as I have no faith in GBS to answer any questions promptly.

I have a MT75 gearbox and have just received a sierra gearbox mount from GBS but cant figure how it fits to the gearbox. The mount is the standard mount with a centre hole to fix the gearbox down, however the gearbox doesn’t appear to have a centre hole but two holes either side of the gearbox, do I need some sort of adapter?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

If the gearbox mount supplied looks like this one http://www.kitspares...=5082&catsub=15 it should be OK according to the website. However it looks the same as I used on my Type 9 which is a lot different to the MT75

Yes thats the one I have been sent, the Kitspares site says its for both types of gearbox, maybe it is if I have an adapter for the MT75.

Too late

I was going to say that my guess was they had sent a type 9 mount and not an MT75.

Not sure but I think its the same mount for both gearbox's, just need to find out if I need an adptor and where I can get it from in NZ.

Guest RPD1970

Dave,

Yes looks like you have a bit missing. I've just checked mine and there is an aluminium adaptor bolted to the two holes with a single central mounting hole.

I'll ask around and see if I can find such a thing here in the uk.

Cheers

Russell

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Dave,

An Idea from a 2B/4 builder. Pinto & type 9.

Ok our car were a lot more DIY than the zero. The Ford mounting hit the chassis, so we came up with out own mounting.:-

A piece of SS angle to bridge the chassis mounting positions. on top of this 2 cotton reel exhaust mounts and on top of those another piece of angle with a big hole to take the bolt to go into the gearbox.

I expect you can find a fleebay seller or go to the local quick fit exhaust place or the motor factors.

I have just fitted a Zetec and improved the design by making a V so I can het to the nut in the gearbox easier.

It just may be easier than find & ship.

A piece of SS angle to bridge the chassis mounting positions. on top of this 2 cotton reel exhaust mounts and on top of those another piece of angle with a big hole to take the bolt to go into the gearbox.

Hi Alan, thanks for that, good idea, however I will just wait before I start to make something myself, I have asked GBS to look into it as they supplied the gearbox and mount and according to the info should fit together which they probably will with an adapter which is missing.

Dave

Hi Boffy

judging by this post and another I have seen from your good self, you appear to have some "issues" with your kit. two sides to all things, sometimes more.

I have every sympathy with someone building a kit so far away. I sure phone calls are costly, and emails, well I'm not in business and still get thirty plus a day.

To answer your question, as others have, mounting is the same for both gearboxes, MT75 has the adapter mentioned. All the boxes I have seen have it bolted on, but if someone has removed it, I doubt your average person, or parts person, would know.

you will need to find the adapter, although Alan_builder has an interesting idea, but never tried it myself.

And, as I have posted before there are two versions of the chassis plate the gear box mounting fits two depending on year, PM me if you need details.

Regards

Hi Simon, thanks for the reply, its not so much the issues with the kit, these I can overcome with wise words from the RHOCAR members, its the lack of communication from GBS.

Although a phone call may or maynot fix the problem I prefer emails as I have a true record of what is said and when, getting older the memory starts to fade :sorry:

I will go along the track of trying to get the adapter first before I start to put something together myself, I think your right though, not many will notice the bracket missing or what it is, I have looked through tinternet and cannot find any reference to it so hopefully GBS will come back with an answer. At the end of the day if they say the mount fits the MT75 and supply both the mount and box then it should fit, might be a learning curve for GBS.

The chassis I have is the wide body (for fat people like me) or I think GBS might call it the GT now, received it in September so it should be a current version. The actual mount I have will fit the chassis with a bit of trimming as per the data sheet so I know thats not the issue its this adapter thats causing confusion.

Dave

PS just like to add many thanks to the RHOCAR members who have posted questions or have blogs running, these have been and I am sure will be so much help.

Hi

The bit your missing is the standard Ford mt75 mounting point. I got my box from a breaker and it has that mounting point on it, I looked a a few of these boxes before I purchased one and they all had that mounting point bolted to them. If you got the box from GBS then they surely should supply the missing part.

Pete

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Dave,

I am sorry to say you are not the first overseas person to run into an email wall with GBS. I how have 2 friends from Holland who never got emails back.

If you PM me your details I will phone them for you, and email you back.