Engine Swap

Thrashed

Hi guys

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on the issue I am finding my self in.

I took the iva at the end of oct and failed on a few minor issues which are now mostly sorted.

At the iva I had a fairly good oil leak and after examination looks like a had hit the sump as 2 of the bolts had broken. I removed the broken bolts and had to heli coil the holes. Now got a new sump and bolted up and I still have a small leak. My first thing to try is to do the bolts up a bit tighter and hope this works, but the question I have is:

If I get a new engine and replace this, how do I stand with the iva. The fail points had nothing to do with the oil leak, but the iva paperwork will have the wrong engine number for the registration.

What do you think?

Cheers

Steve

Great confusion I should think. Don't know that DVLA can change it is they haven't registered it yet but may be tempted to give you a Q plate when the time comes.

IVA are expecting the car that the application was made for to be presented. Depending on the jobsworthishness of the examiner it could be no problem at all or you may have to reapply and take a full IVA as it is a different car.

Why not take steps to identify the oil leak and cure it. Tightening a leaking sump seldom works. Much better to find where the leak is, fit new gasket or seal and a bit of goo to improve the seal and refit to the correct torque.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel

That was my thoughts with the dvla, but the leak side of this has had 3 different gaskets, heli coiled 2 damaged holes and goo too, but still not joy. Every time I cure 1 leak another appears. Even changed the sump as that was a bit warpped. I am now running out of ideas as I think the iva and dvla will have issues, unless they just redo the emissions on the retest?

Thanks

Can you clean the engine with degreaser and pressure wash. Then warm it up to dry it and watch for the leaks. My experience of the pinto was that it dribbled from auxiliary shaft bearing and rear main but getting the sump oil tight was not to difficult. Identifying the leaks was the most difficult part. Oil seems to smear itself over half the engine and then drip off at least 6 inches away from the point it's leaking from.

Nigel

Sump off, check for distorted seal lip, fit new gasket with hammerite red. CAREFULLY hand tighten all the bolts to "nip" the sump up to the block. Then using a small tightening on each bolt work round the sump until you can see the gasket start to be "squeezed". Then run the engine until warm and then re-tighten. DON'T over tighten as that can squeeze the gasket too much.

HTH

Thanks for the tips.

Very sure it's the sump leaking but will double double check. Will see about getting some hammerite red. Currently using locktite silicone from local motor factors. Might give it a big bead of the hammerite and cross fingers.

Cheers

Steve

my first attempt at putting a sump gasket on a pinto was horrendous - mostly due to vastly overtightening it! For my second attempt, i looked up the haynes figures - around 5llbf, marginally more than finger tight! Much better second time around.

Thanks grim. That might be my error, over tightening. Will have a go at the sealer and new gasket.

Bob, painting might not help but it was better than me turning the air blue when it leaked again!!

Will try again and keep you posted.

Steve