110Bhp From A 2.1Pinto

Guest NantLladron

Guest NantLladron

after my recent trip to the rolling road i was a little dissapointed that the engine peaked at 110bhp at the crank , its a 2.1 pinto with twin 40 webbers uprated AS270 cam all built by autosprint in birmingham

Is this typical ? i was kinda expecting 130+ ?

The standard pinto is rated at 100bhp, the injection 114 bhp

I had a 2.1 on bike carbs with an FR32 that made 128bhp @ 135 ft/lbs

So 110 is disappointing

270 degree cam, is it high lift? If not its standard

Carbs jetted properly?

What head? Standard head is not good, injection head better, injection head with large inlets better still.

Pintos like higher compression but not to much with a short duration cam such as the 270, perhaps just a Felpro gasket that crushes to 1mm.

What sort of compression pressure do you get if you use a compression tester?

Guest NantLladron

im sure i can find someone with a comp tester and post ...what should i be getting ? any idea ,dont really want to start spening a fortune on the head ect else i think i would just drop a duratec in it

felpro are sold by Burton Performance as an upgrade for Pinto increases the compression ratio by about 1/2 a point so from 9.2 to 1 to 9.7 to 1

Victor Reinz gasket crushes to 1.27mm cheap at £15 on eBay

Cometic any thinness you want but lots of dosh

it was a tuning session .....it actually started at 95bhp ....the rolling road guy said that it probably has not had any head work

95 to 110 sounds like a good % improvement, I am always very wary of comparing the 'numbers' from rolling roads, each tends to be diff, even the weather will impact the number achieved on the same RR...

Cheers

Tony.R

My pinto was 155bhp(crank) on the dyno, standard injection head, felpro head gasket (worth 4hp) fr32 cam (16hp), vernier, bike carbs and bestek ignition,

Are you sure thats not the wheel figure? but even if it was its still low would have thought some where in the 120's would be expected from that spec..@ the wheel.

Guest NantLladron

Hi , unfortunately yes was the flywheel figure , wheels was 85 bhp , think the head is standard , the guy from autosprint also commented that figures from rolling road places vary dramatically , its difficult for me to judge as its my first 7 its quick but not as quick as i would expect , i might try a felpro head g and maybe look about for a injection head from somewhere

I don't dispute notimpressed figures but where does the extra 20bhp come from?

I had exactly the same set up but with megajolt and got 130 ish

I would expect 130 to 135 with injection head and FR32.

The limit on the Pinto is rods and pistons

Let's see what my next set up gives, the only thing I have not bought is forged pistons so limited to 10.5 to 1

2.1, big valve head, RL31 cam, Cosworth rods, V6 pistons, bike carbs and Megajolt

I'll be happy with over 150bhp and a lot of torque but would love to see 170+

dino002.jpg

built by chris27.

RL31 CAM

VULCAN 2.1 bottom end

stage 3 big valve head

injection crank

vernior pully

twin 40 deloto's

bestec rally distributor

luminitions electronic ignition

kevlar race clutch

lightend and balanced flywheel

not sure about the diff but i do imagin it will have some sort of impact on the final reading at the wheels (correct me if im wrong)

I think thats everything.

Guest jasonmorris

I'm getting 173bhp at the fly from my 2.1 and that's with a relatively mild 270 piper cam next upgrade is a 300 degree one which will hopefully see another 10bhp with further head work.

110bhp at the fly from a 2.1???? Surely there has to be something else wrong....compression, spark, head flow, cam etc....

Rgds,

Jason