Oil Pick Up Advise Please.

Guest Lee reed

Guest Lee reed

Hi all, I removed the sump to my pinto to sort a leak and discovered that to be able to fit the shortened sump the builder had simply cut the pick up filter off so all I have is an open pipe end for the pick up in the sump. This seems wrong to me surely there is a shortened pick up with a filter on the market or do you need to make your own filter once the pick up pipe has been shortened, I obviously want to correct this before refitting all back together. Thanks all Lee

My mate/mechanic is in the process of dropping motor out of 2b to shorten sump when i bought new sump ready to mod i also got another pickup pipe so should have a spare one very soon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can silver solder the filter back on with a plumber butane torch. Modied mine with the bottom of sump chopped off to measure gap, other wise take carfull measurements from sump/block mating surface plus gasket. I believe if the gap is too close the pump can suck air in through its mounting surface or pick up pipe gasket (not good!!). Theres a guide on NW Hoods if you search.

I have a spare pickup or two £10 posted if your interested, they are standard so you will need to cut to fit.

You need about 8mm gap between pickup and sump floor

Nutter said he wanted one of my pickups but despite promising to pay (twice) did not, so I have spare full pipe, a couple of Cosworth ones and more important to you, I have in a bag of bits a pickup gauze head, maybe 2

Yours for the price of 1 pint of Adnams

Guest nutter

sory.. at the end my mechanic said i dont need one as he managed to cut the one with engine.. all cutting of sump and pipe costed me only 25 quid.. sorry again..

if you are worried about getting the correct height between sump bottom and pickup you can do the old trick of a bit of blue tack on the pickup, put on the sump and then take off and measure how much the blue tack is squished and this will be the gap. adjust as necessary.

Remember if you bash your sump at some point it will probably push this gap up so be careful on the ground clearance...

hth

Guest mower man

Pushing the sump bottom up to the pick up happened to me soft contact on grass car park took the sump off adjusted bottom face with correction tool and drilled a series of 2mm holes in top of pickup mushroom no more probs mower man