The Never Ending Build...iva On The 3Rd Of April

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

hey guys, since my last progress post on here i have tried to sort out all the problems that people pointed out to me, so i have now got a fresh set of pics for every one to appraise.

firstly i got rid of the bias bar braking system :

fa6510bc.jpg

9fd1649a.jpg

added some trim around the headlight fixing (just realised i have forgotten the nut cover under the headlight)

297a4e45.jpg

also glued on some trim on the wing bracket

0b9870ee.jpg

and generally gave the car a tidy up

7dc46d04.jpg

fb0edd5d.jpg

also i have fitted a lock washer under the head of the steering column pinch bolt along with loctite, will this be sufficent to prove it wont undo its self?

cabb9e4f.jpg

Picky points. Tape the end of the trottle cable back on itself; can't stab the m/cylinder wiring then. M/cylinder metal cover --does this leave a hole through the firewall? Fire wall should be complete with cable/pipe holes filled with close fitting grommets. Cable tie wing light wiring. Make sure the rear view mirrors give the required field of view; yours maybe too low; mounted on the scuttle the view is obscurred by the high arches.

Above may be all wrong but best to check ( Hope so & you just think --silly old duffer)

Hi

Is that threaded rod I see for the master cylinder push rod, I know its under compression, but most of it is mild steel, which tends to bend.

the type of mirrors you have may be to low, the stalk type mounted on the curve of the scuttle will generally get through

lock tight is fine for steering bolt, but they won't quibble with over security

not a problem at the moment, but the bottom steering bush does not appear to have a retainer, if it rides up the shaft, as they do, it will fall out, if that happens at the test it will fail

assume drivers sill to fit

would agree with securing repeater wiring

headlight nut already noted

can't see all of battery strap, as you are charging battery, but (1) does it go from rear battery bracket slot, under battery through front slot then over battery, or (2) through rear slot over battery, through front slot and back over battery, first version will allow to much movement, must be second version with that type of battery bracket

And Jenvey's, noted the balancer, assume they have set up OK, you will need the right map, and I would suggest some time on a gas tester before you go, and if you are running basic sensors be prepared to "tweak" it at the test.

nice job replacing the pedal bracket

Regards

Hi,

I put one electricians chocolate block over the throttle cable and fed the loose end back through that. Then if the nipple slips, the loop of the cable would act as a backup and not allow the cable to slip any further.

Did you not get the bolt as part of the brake fixing kit? The suggestion is to cut the hex head off and round the shaft for the master cylinder. Instructions are on GBS site.

As others have said, the wing mirrors are probably too low.

The master cylinder pedal cover does leave this hole around the master cylinder - They're all like that though. It's been reduced to the smallest gap possible as far as I can see in order to be able to fit and remove this bit.

Simon.

Guest mcramsay

hey guys, thanks for the replys, i will try to get these bits sorted, there is a bit of a hole on the firewall...i will look at making some kind of cover, and yes i did recieve the pushrod bolt but it was lost when changing the braking system. it is a stainless bolt that is fitted with an M8 thread.

ive made a bit of a big change and i am now in the process of arranging to have the car delievered to GBSC for them to get the car through IVA for me. ive got another stint of long work hours coming up and i really want the car on the road this summer!

ive made a bit of a big change and i am now in the process of arranging to have the car delievered to GBSC for them to get the car through IVA for me. ive got another stint of long work hours coming up and i really want the car on the road this summer!

How does this work (having GBS get the car through IVA)? Doesn't it need to be of a higher standard if it is submitted by a professional builder?

What does it cost?

John.

Picky points.

Fire wall should be complete with cable/pipe holes filled with close fitting grommets.

There is a hole around the brake servo in the SuperSpec scuttle, are we supposed to fill this in? What about the space between the back of the pedal box and the front of the scuttle on the SuperSpec? Robin Hood left a number of holes between the engine compartment and the cockpit, there were no instructions in writing or in the build instruction videos to fill them all in?

John.

Hi

Standard is the same, professional builder or not.

armature might get a little more leeway to put things right during test (if possible).

advantage that professional builder has is that they do more than one vehicle a year.

experience and practice usually makes things easier.

Regards

There is a hole around the brake servo in the SuperSpec scuttle, are we supposed to fill this in? What about the space between the back of the pedal box and the front of the scuttle on the SuperSpec? Robin Hood left a number of holes between the engine compartment and the cockpit, there were no instructions in writing or in the build instruction videos to fill them all in?

John.

My view is that it's supposed to be a firewall so NO holes; maybe you're allowed to get a little toasted. :rofl:

Hi florin,

I made an error when I took the car to fill it up again and forgot to put back the top of the pedal box.

I wondered how my car managed to get this "invisible heater" from until I took the bonnet off again.

One of those D'Oh moments ! :)

Simon.

Yes, that was puzzling me.

However, IVA man wanted me to take the cover off to inspect the pedals and fittings so *KNEW* that there was direct

access to the footwell and yet this small gap around the brake reservoir did not flag any attention.

I suppose you *could* make a cover to go over the "cover" in order to remove even that hole ? :)

Simon.