Windscreen Fitting

Al Milton

Well, this weekend finally got round to the windscreen.

Collected support from powder coater on Friday afternoon (had them set up, drilled etc first!)

Trial run the screen alignment and had to elongate holes in scuttle by 2 mm to get screen square.

Polished screen frame and fitted poppers to screen

Dummy fitted screen assembly to check and everything okey dokey.

Went for final fitting screen with seal.

Couldn't get screen into frame with poppers in place (pop rivet tails in the way). :sorry: :sorry:

Filed rivet tails, still not wide enough. :sorry: :sorry:

Drilled rivet heads out and threw poppers in bin. Cleaned up holes and tapped (M4) just in case for alternative.

Tracked down and collected some caravan awning rail, tried to bend to frame profile, screwed that up! :fool: :fool: (Any pointers on bending to suit creen frame profile - don't have access to bending kit anymore)! Thinking of fitting remainder to top of screen.

Had screen (with copious amounts of washing up liquid) keep sticking to seal and couldn't get it fully seated in frame. :cray: :cray:

Binned seal!

Decided to fill windscreen frame inner with Sikaflex. (After using bolts to plug tapped holes to prevent 'squirt through'.

Screen is now in frame and Sikaflex is curing off.

Searched E-Bay and came across self tapping turnbuckle fasteners.

Will cut the screw thread length on these to fit the screen depth and will also bond in with a dab of Sikaflex.

Looking forward to removing the excess Sikaflex after work tomorrow.

The wife had a wonderful suggestion 'Why don't they supply a pre-assembled windscreen?' :wacko: :wacko:

With that, she put the kettle on........ :wub:

Windscreen ! Yep - A right b--gg-r that was ! I also found that the rubber would NOT go in with the glass.

With sikaflex (or polyurethane sealant) you will probably find that if you need new glass, you will also need a new frame too !

I ended up using silicone sealant which is not as strong, but even that will pose problems I think :)

The rivets I had been told should not actually go all the way through to the other side so you were probably using ones that were too long.

Fitting that was possibly one of the worst jobs on it so far :)

Simon.

Guest Sharky

Sorry, but this was a right pain in the backside and I threw the slimy washing up liquid covered seal across the garage in the end! Plan B was using Innotec windscreen sealant, two screws to hold the bottom rail and a few well placed tensioning straps! Did the job in the end, but a whole weekend was wasted on it! Not got round to fitting a hood . . . . Yet! So no doubt more fun and games to come?! I was also thinking exactly the same as Al's missus regarding a built up item!!! Wished I'd never decided to have a windscreen, but I must say, the effort was worth it in the end!

Guest peter2b2002

I used the dog screen from my Range Rover as a mandel to bend the awning rail took me 2 goes the get it right, I just clamped the rail to the dog guard(2 g clamps) leaving about 1ft over size for leaveage then offered it to the screen marked where the other side started to bend as a starting point clamped it to the dog guard again and slowly bent it bit by bit double checking on the screen , then cut it to size it's held on with 3 self tappers and screen sealant, been on now for 6 years and still holding strong

peter2b