New Koso Digi-Dash

enforcer

Haven't posted for a while, been very busy at work and I'm now weirdly addicted to running marathons, so currently training 50 miles a week ahead of the Milton Keynes marathon on the 29th April. However I have managed to get a little garage time in, having been treated to a KOSO XR-SR digi-dash for me birthday.

XR-SR2.jpg

These chunky little units cost just under £120 and give you a Speedo, Tacho, Fuel and Temperature gauges as well as warning lights for indicators, hazards, oil pressure, dipped beam, main beam as well as 'Neutral' and 'High Water Temp Warning' which I haven't used. The main installation headache was that the perfect dash position meant that the substantial cable coming out of the unit had to go straight through the chassis tube. However a 12mm hole soon sorted that. These units are designed for motorcycles so they only come with a handlebar mount. However this is attached to the unit with three threaded holes and once I'd cut a template these were perfect for securely mounting to the dashboard.

XR-SR4.jpg

The speed sensor signal can come directly from the gearbox with an accessory cable, but I wanted to keep the original clocks as they are a real feature of my dash, so I elected to mount the magnets and sensor on the front offside wheel (for ease of access easier than the prop shaft). All this needed was a simple bracket to fix it to the ball joint / nut from the steering rod end.

SpeedSensor.jpg

Then it was down to a couple of evenings with a soldering iron and a multi-meter. All simple enough really other than I can't get the oil pressure warning light right: it comes on with the ignition as it should but doesn't go off when the original warning light does? The other issue is that I can't use the fuel gauge without changing the Sierra fuel sender. I'm not bothered about this though because you can set the unit up to display either fuel or temperature on the smaller display to the left. I also had to purchase a spare speed sensor just to butcher it up to double the length of the original sender cable (again, designed for bikes so wouldn't reach the wheel. This and a temperature sender adaptor set me back another £35 although they were cheaper to buy from Germany).

XR-SR1.jpg

All in all I'm really pleased and impressed with this unit for the money. I just hope this weather holds for a few more days until I can get back on the road next week ... roll on Stoneleigh!

XR-SR3.jpg