Supercharged Pinto

steve_wilson

hi all

thought i'd stick a thread up about the changes ive made to my 2b over the last month or so.

when i bought the part built kit it had a rebuilt 2.1 pinto in it, which no real modifications apart from the rebore.

i got it on the road in july 2010 and decided more horses were needed, so in winter 2010 i bought an injection head off a member on here and skimmed and ported it and added a few choice upgrade

engine spec was

10.8:1 CR

4-1 manifold

megajolt ignition

piper 300 cam

fireblade carbs on a bogg bros manifold

lightly ported injection head

and probably a few other things...

took it to bogg brothers and it made about 150bhp at the flywheel, which was a nice result, however it still didnt feel properly quick.

i'm running 17" wheels so people suggested i changed my diff to a 3.92 (was a 3.62). again i got one off a member off here, 7" 3.92 lsd with bolt on flanges. havent driven it with this, but shoud help out a bit!

anyway...

i'd been debating an engine change for a while 2.0 zetec... turbo cossie lump... v8 maybe?

in the end i decided my newly rebuilt pinto would be a shame to take out, and after seeing a thread posted by ianjenn

this one

i thought sticking a supercharger on would be an interesting project!

anyway, i got an m45 off a merc and set to work!

here some pictures

the tacked together bracket for it

IMG_0452.jpg

fitted in place

IMG_0455.jpg

nissan gti-r inlet plenum, fairly cheap and a good design

IMG_0467.jpg

machined a baseplate for it

IMG_0473.jpg

fitted

IMG_0477.jpg

still need to fit this intercooler, ebay special but should do the job

IMG_0505.jpg

had to make a new engine mount to give clearance for the supercharger

IMG_0512.jpg

bought an inlet spacer off laser man and drilled and tapped for airline fittings

IMG_0514.jpg

remote oil filter thingy- more clearance issues

IMG_0516.jpg

supercharger and plenum fitted

IMG_0518.jpg

and thats pretty much where i'm up to!

not running yet but should be going by the end of the month.

as always with these things its turned into a bigger project than i imagined but thats part of the fun!

this isnt meant as a guide, just to let people know what can be involved with doing a supercharger conversion. i'd estimate it'll have cost me around £500 so far with maybe another £200 to spend.

cheers, steve

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome project Steve, awesome...

As an engineer myself i can appreciate the work you have put in to get too this

stage, but more so the satisfaction you must feel at seeing it all coming together

mate, i truly take my hat off to you! :hi:

thanks for the nice comments chaps

no de-comp plate at the moment, still at 10.8.

when its all together and running i'll whip the head off and change the headgasket to a thicker one, should make it about 10:1

long term i want to get hold of a cossie bottom end, but they seem quite hard to come by!

The Pinto crank is strong enough, you would be wise to use ARP flywheel bolts and double dowl it.

I fitted Cosworth rods to the Pinto crank and modified V6 Pistons, wish I had gone the whole hog and fitted Forged.

i would just fit cossie rods and pistons but because my blocks had a rebore all the ones that come up on ebay are standard size.

so cheapest route will either be a full cossie bottom end, or forge my current engine but then it's £££

will have to see what i can get my mits on over the next few months!

• 1 month later...

bit of progress on this!

got the intercooler fitted - made a little frame for it

IMG_0547.jpg

mounted the oil cooler and remote filter to it too

IMG_0550.jpg

i'm waiting on a few bits off ebay, but hopefully i should be ready for the big start up this weekend!!

i'll get it videod

Very interesting thread on the Turbosports forum regarding forced induction on a pinto

Interestingly it recommends a low overlap cam to prevent the pressure just flowing out of the exhaust port on overlap and that exhaust porting and valve size becomes more important than inlet with forced induction.

I'll be most interested in your results and any further work you do in persuit of bhp & torque

yeah, my understanding is for forced induction little overlap the better or youre just blowing straight out into the exhaust

with regards to exhaust porting and valve size, mine are standard at the moment. although next time i take the head off (will be soon as i need to fit a thicker head gasket) i'll be buying bigger valves (inlet and exhaust) and getting them fitted. i have the to tooling and machinery ready, just never really got round to doing it.

not sure i have the steady hands and experience to make a good job of porting though... might have to send it somewhere for that!

i'm hoping for 200bhp, but expecting 180bhp. my current cam isnt ideal for forced induction, piper 300, so has a lot of overlap and might limit me until i can get a more suitable cam

will post back on how i get on!

ive seen them cometic gaskets ... heard nothing but good things about them, they just cost a few quid :/

got it all plumbed up yesterday, still waiting on a few clips off ebay but they should turn up today

IMG_0557.jpg

sooo, i think i'll be going for the first start since the conversion today

camera at the ready!!

Guest old_timbo

I'm interested to see how the rad. copes with the increased power / heat and the intercooler in front of it as I'm just about to start a similar project but I'm using a M62 and fuel injection. Are you going to fit a bypass / blow-off valve?