Zero Rear Brake

Thrashed

Hi Guys

I am in the process of trying to get ready for my retest, but i have 1 issue i cant sort.

When i pull the handbrake the passanger side rear locks as you would expect and the driver side does nothing.

1 of my IVA fails was the front/rear bias and also that the passanger side is stronger than the driver!!

So i took the wheels and drums off and last weekend i find that on the passanger side the brake cylinder is to the front of the car and the drivers side the cylinder is at the rear of the car.

So looking at a few posted and the GBS "build manual" it shows that the cylinders should be at the rear of the car. Now, i know Shaft feels differently about this, so would be glad for you to jump in Nick.

So changed the passanger side around and this is now how it looks.

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/smineham/Steve_Zero/Brakes/b33cc3e5.jpg

So, took the driver side apart again and this is how this looks:

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/smineham/Steve_Zero/Brakes/806db265.jpg

When i press the foot brake the cylinders work fine and when i pull the handbrake it all seems to operate fine, but there is definately something wrong.

Any ideas

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Thrashed

Just a further thought. When you look at the drivers side, is is possible I have the shoes 180' out? Looking at the Haynes manual and turning the picture so the cylinder is in the same orientation, the passenger side looks fine, but if I do the same on the drivers side it shows that the auto adjuster needs to be the opposite way round?

Thanks

You can't get the shoes wrong other wise the handbrake actuation bar wouldn't line up with the cable.

Is the auto adjuster working correctly? If the toothed pawl has any damage it won't adjust up properly.

Are the springs on the adjuster free to do their job or catching anywhere?

Is the handbrake actuation arm free moving about its pivot point on the shoe? If its not, with it being a single cable it will easily transfer "pull" to the easier side.

Can you do another pic of each side showing the handbrake crossbar and the auto-adjuster. ie a pic from rear quarter on both sides. Have you got the bleed nipple on each slave cylinder uppermost and the brake pipe lowermost?

To set up the correct adjustment of the rears you must slacken the handbrake cable right off and let the adjusters take up the slack in the drum by working the brake pedal a few times. Only then adjust the brake cable.

Nigel

Will get some better photos sorted and post them up. Nick. On your photos you have the adjuster on the drivers side with the pawl facing down? http://m575.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/shaft_Zero/Zero%20build%20pics/SSL22090.jpg.html?o=130

Could this have anything to do with it? As far as I can tell everything else is fine and working as it should. With the drum off if I pull the handbrake the leveller moves and if I press the brake pedal the piston moves out?

Thanks

Steve

I don't know if my brain has gone funny but I always thought the cylinder went at the top (12 o'clock)

It's a long time since I've had the drums off mine.

Not on the Zero Les, they're rotated 90 degrees mate.

Guest scrabster

hi steve,just a thought,the curved bracket that the cable goes around at the back of handbrake lever,check its not squashed on one side and trapping the cable. ;) .....jess.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I think I am going to try the shoes the other way round so that the shoe with the hand brake is at the top on the drivers side. Looking at the Haynes manual and turning this to match the car it looks like the way I have got them on is wrong. At the moment the passenger side had the shoe with the handbrake at the top and the drivers side is at the bottom.

Cheers