Mot Advice

Guest tmarryat

Guest tmarryat

Good evening all,

I purchased a Robin Hood S7 Sierra based (Mk1 I believe) last October. It has been off the road for around 3 1/2 years and the previous owner was converting it to a track day car (mostly just removing bits!). I've been working on it since attempting to get it road worthy again and I think I'm almost there so thoughts have turned to the MOT itself.

This is my first kit car, and the first car I've worked on to any degree so I'm hoping you can assist with a couple of questions. Firstly, is there any particular areas or checks to make prior to taking the car to the MOT station (other than checking the wheel nuts are tight!). I've been reading through the MOT testers guide online but I'm sure there's advice from veterans.

Secondly, where do people advise the MOT is done? I have a council MOT station close by, or the usual high street garage chains (National and Mr Clutch come to mind) or a couple of private garages.

Thanks in advance.

Guest MarkB

All VTS's are "supposed" to be the same, end of the day, put it through the test and see how you come out, if you disagree with his decision there is a complaint system. Book somewhere that gives free restest, most places do it now... the council do not. If you want to have your car MOT'd bang to the book, write "vosa" in yellow chalk underneath your car, book it in using your reg number and full name and ask to view the test..... trust me they will think you are VOSA in an incognito car, when garages get an incognito car in it is our way of warning the next garage by writing VOSA under the car.

Dont tell everyone :search: :search:

i go to my local garage as i know the people who run it and they are really happy to help. I find its the plough bar underneith that causes the only problem as the sliding jack on the ramp can't get under it so we have to lift it about an inch normally by hand is enough to get it past.

If your car is really low then it might touch the floor when it goes on the brake rollers depending on their setup but mine normally just misses the floor.

hth

Guest peter2b2002

I use my locaal garage for it's mot, as my 2B won't get onto the rollers I take one chap who puts his brake tester on the floor and take him for a drive where he does the brake test

peter2b

I take mine to a local quick clutch which have always been happy to MOT it, only problem I had was when the 'young skinny lad' was off and the tester couldn't get in the car. I drove it onto the ramp (very carefully) and sat in the car for the test.

If your unsure of any thing safety wise they will check and advise accordingly, I would rather them find a fault for me to fix safely then bluff it just to get on the road faster.

Guest Hoppo

Took my S7 to a local garage for a MOT and asked him to have a good look around. Sadly it failed on about 10 things, Two major thing I would say hand brake which I knew would be a problem (got some good advice from him) and foot peddle creeps down under pressure (bled brakes again). The other things were like castle nut not secure (split pin in but not bent over), a nylon nut not on far enough (bolt to small), Bolt touching anti roll bar (bolt moved), head light needs setting up, mud guard brackets catching on full lock (used jubilee clips to stop full lock till after MOT), emissions to high (think he said it was 5 and needs to be 4.5, he’ll do that on retest)

Also some advisory, front wheel bearing noisy, brake pipes corroding at ends, body rubbing on gear box, and some other can’t think of now

I was a bit pi??ed off at the time but after a couple of days got into it and all done in two days. Thought he was a bit picky but after thinking about it was glad he found them and now should be good for the road, just got to get it back in for retest

Steve

Take in what's been said above, if you know a garage that you've used previously with any car, and you've been happy with go back to them. If not, try to find a garage that MOT's kitcars reasonably regularly and go there.

If your's is a pre SVA car (which I believe it is), then emissions are only a visual check, but everything else is just the same as any eurobox.

One thing that you do need to check is the wheel bearings, the early cars did eat them, if there's any play or noises, first try tightening the large nut up very tight.

Apart from that, everything else is the usual, tyres, lights, fog lights, hazards, seatbelts, wipers, security of everything like steering rack, seats, shockers,etc.

Any play in ball joints, brake performance, excessive leaks anywhere.

Just remembered---------------very important!

Your car is a monocoque, in other words it doesn't have a chassis, make sure that you are with the tester when he jacks it up to show him the places that are strong enough to jack under.

Guest Hoppo

Did want it doing right in the first place (not that other garages dont) Have used before thats why i went back, will see how i get on when i take it back for retest if not happy will look for some where else

Thanks Steve

Guest tmarryat

Thanks for the replies chaps. I put her through the MOT today and she failed on a few bits and bobs. She's now back in the garage with a box of spare parts. Fingers crossed it won't be too long before we can try again.

Guest snowy2

me i just take to any garage and never have a problem mind you i always ask to assist on the MOT (you have the right to ask but they dont have to let you), but if you can convince them you are a competant person they are supposed to let you.

Guest MarkB

me i just take to any garage and never have a problem mind you i always ask to assist on the MOT (you have the right to ask but they dont have to let you), but if you can convince them you are a competant person they are supposed to let you.

Ask politely and most will allow it, we are not "supposed" to let you, it is soley the discretion of the VTS, whenever i test a classic/ kit car i prefer the owner to sit in as they know where all the controls are.