Race Line Water Rail

Guest mcramsay

Confused now (easily done) My 1.8CVH (Zetec fore-runner) has the stat on the outlet from the head,when open water flows into external pipework. The water pump draws water from the external pipes & pushes water into the engine. So how does cooling circulate without a small by-pass hose or hole? Self ciculation in the engine, water temp will rise,until by conduction the 'stat is heated enough to open & then the far colder water that's been enjoying ambient air forced over its pipes & rad (moving vehicle)floods in. Or does the 'stat open so slowly to prevent this cold/hot exchange?

Think I'll stick with the small hole in the 'stat & Fords rad fan switch; 100+ years of development must have produced some knowledge of i/c engines.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, this section about the original plastic ford thermostat housing makes interesting reading. A good reason to change the plastic housing for a "proper" one :)

---Quote---

The 2.0L Zetec engine has seen some issues. Although the block and cylinder head are thermally stable, the coolant outlet housing for the thermostat is not. The housing used in the 2000-2004 model year US Ford Focus and 2001-2004 model year Ford Escape with 16-Valve DOHC engine is made from a black plastic material. It is bolted to the surface of the cylinder head on the right (driver) side of the engine with three bolts. The mating surface seals to the cylinder head with a rubber O-ring style gasket. The O-ring is held in place by a lip on the housing which is prone to cracking. The immediate inner portion of the housing will exhibit pitting and bubbling. Over time, pieces of the lip will break off; releasing plastic fragments into the cooling system. These fragments have not been known to cause any severe damage to the cooling system but the damaged lip on the housing will cause the O-ring seal to rupture. This allows coolant to leak out and trail down to the upper transmission bell housing.

---quote---

found from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zetec_engine

Simon.

Confused now (easily done) My 1.8CVH (Zetec fore-runner) has the stat on the outlet from the head,when open water flows into external pipework. The water pump draws water from the external pipes & pushes water into the engine. So how does cooling circulate without a small by-pass hose or hole? Self ciculation in the engine, water temp will rise,until by conduction the 'stat is heated enough to open & then the far colder water that's been enjoying ambient air forced over its pipes & rad (moving vehicle)floods in. Or does the 'stat open so slowly to prevent this cold/hot exchange?

http://www.familycar...olingSystem.htm

see section "bypass"

Think I'll stick with the small hole in the 'stat & Fords rad fan switch; 100+ years of development must have produced some knowledge of i/c engines.

Ford "Zetec" stat doesn't have a bleed hole, and many stats that do have also have a float valve, lets air through then closes when water present.

as you say after all this time the manufacturers would appear to know what they are doing, so perhaps we should leave things standard? yey right that would be boring, and on kits sometimes impractical.

good discussion as usual, lots to think about.

oohhhhhh and has anyone any idea what the raceline stat opens at? do we really need to know?

As I have to drain the coolant out in order to get the engine out, I could test the stat (or even look to see if there is a temp stamped on it) to see what it is.

That won't happen for at least 2 weeks though so someone might answer the question before then :)

Simon.

As I have to drain the coolant out in order to get the engine out, I could test the stat (or even look to see if there is a temp stamped on it) to see what it is.

That won't happen for at least 2 weeks though so someone might answer the question before then :)

thanks for that Simon

but the answer is not for the real question I have been posing ;)

on a serious matter,

why are you taking your engine out so soon?