S3 Front Suspention Setup

Snapperpaul

Got my smaller nuts and intend to strip the front suspension and reset it all.

The top wishbone points down although on closer inspection the pivot point is under the arm so is almost straight if you draw a line through to the ball joint.

Do people run the dummy strut fully down or raise it a bit if you get what I mean?

Guest mower man

I have wondered for a while about this , and still cannot make a decision ,mine are set up about mid length the set up seems to work but has very little droop and would possibly lift inside front wheels if realy pushed on,depending how stiff the tub really is, any comments? :crazy: mowerman

Raise it as much as you can, I drew the front suspension up once upon a time and the higher you can get the dummy strut the less camber change you get on suspension movement. As soon as you get a bit of roll and turn the wheels it all goes to pot anyway though!

Well I know how stiff the tub is as before the tie bar mod you could jack the front up from one side and the other would rise.

I have just read Complete kit car article on suspension geometry and will try some of that.

Guest mower man

If you want some more reading , get hold of Allan Staniforths book Competition car suspension isbn 978 1 84425 328 9 it is wll worth several reads HTH mowerman :clapping:

'Allan Staniforths book Competition car suspension..........................it is well worth several reads'

But even then you won't understand a word it says.

Struts up two inches. Anymore and the ball joints bind on full bounce.

Nigel

Guest mower man

'Allan Staniforths book Competition car suspension..........................it is well worth several reads'

But even then you won't understand a word it says.

Struts up two inches. Anymore and the ball joints bind on full bounce.

Nigel

That is why I said it is worth several reads ,I have played with Form Ford ,Clubmans ,Special saloon etc in the past and am still learning ! ,the book is a classic and offers an insight to what things do mower man :acute:

I have it in the book case behind me as I type and whenever I get it out to clarify a point I end up just as confused after as I was before. Having read parts of it several times I just refer to the bits I need but they tend to leave me with stuff like if I set up A to be ideal then B is going to be less than ideal and C is going to be rubbish. He doesn't give enough advice along the lines of get A and C as near as possible to ideal and don't worry about B too much.

Nigel