Zero Vs R6, Or 2B?

Guest Pond

Not sure how I think I know this, but I'm fairly sure Scottie686 on here was the first person to get

a privately built Zero on the road?? I may be wrong, but if I'm not, his wasn't tested until Aug 08.

Guest bigstuff

Andy I think the 2b with zetec is probably the only option for that budget. Have fun cutting in all those bonnet vents. One thing to bear in mind is that modern day engines are relatively highly strung, if you intend to use all the extra bhp you intend to sqeeze. Out of the zetec its less likely to survive than a pinto block.

Guest boggybogstar

Not sure how I think I know this, but I'm fairly sure Scottie686 on here was the first person to get

a privately built Zero on the road?? I may be wrong, but if I'm not, his wasn't tested until Aug 08.

mine was one of the early ones registered, the SVA was sometime around February 2009 and on my v5 it says first registered 23rd March 2009, mine is registerd as a robin hood and not a gbs which is what that guy that advertised in the kitcar mags to help with the registration process (paul someone) did on all the early ones

so its feasable that its all ok, my engine number is unmarked because the crate zetecs didnt have numbers

although i have to say that 2007 seems very suspicious

Edited by Tony B

The zetec engine number is in the red area marked on the attached photo if it is not a crate engine. Mine is a 12 digit number starting with EDD. Sounds like that is definitely wrong on the V5 but possibly overcome if he bought the engine from GBS and you can get receipts, proof etc.

post-985-0-18802200-1342030385_thumb.jpg

so it turns out it is the car Nicko and i remember from our sheffield meets. The story was that the chap had a Robin Hood lightweight which lunched its propshaft (not a 2b). As the lightweight was made out of very little, the damage was unrepairable. GBS sold him a zero chassis which he rebuilt the car around, using many of the original lightweight panels, as they were the same size as the zero.

Whether the car was re-SVA/IVA tested afterwards or retained its lightweight ID i don't know. Whether this is a problem if it had I don't know either. A little bit of an unknown quantity. Strange that it does not have a model name on the V5, is this related to the above story?

so it turns out it is the car Nicko and i remember from our sheffield meets. The story was that the chap had a Robin Hood lightweight which lunched its propshaft (not a 2b). As the lightweight was made out of very little, the damage was unrepairable. GBS sold him a zero chassis which he rebuilt the car around, using many of the original lightweight panels, as they were the same size as the zero.

Whether the car was re-SVA/IVA tested afterwards or retained its lightweight ID i don't know. Whether this is a problem if it had I don't know either. A little bit of an unknown quantity. Strange that it does not have a model name on the V5, is this related to the above story?

Thanks, that's very useful.

Edited by Pond

The above could mean that it HAS been SVAd in August 2007,

or that the lightweight was SVA'd in 2007 and this built on its identity. That's the fact you need to try and establish if you want total peace of mind, but like Grim I'm not sure what the true legality of the situation would be even if that were the case. I suspect if you asked the question of the authorities you'd get the answer you didn't want. Is it worth the risk?

I promise I'm not trying to put you off this one to come and look at mine (I'm struggling enough with the concept of selling it anyway) but I'd hate anyone to have their fingers burnt. If this falls through and you want a good Zero, save up a bit more and wait for one to hit the market.

It seems a little hard to know whether it is a ringer or not as being registered as a RH or GBS isn't proof in itself. That is only what someone put on the form when they registered it.

If i build a car from scratch i guess i can just make up a manufacturer as i would be the manufacturer. Its easily feasible that someone who built a zero put RH on the form as there was a transition period when people may have been confused.

If it does seem dodgy walk away as there will be others but if there is a good paper trail proving its genuine then go for it.

personally i have a 2b and i love it. maybe not the best handling car in the world but enough for me and can be improved. Not sure of its strength in an accident but i have a slightly safer feeling in the 2b from its slightly larger size. The tubing on the 2b is 2mm thick for example compared to 1.6mm square tube.

Bare in mind the 2b is big but only in comparison to other 7's. its still a tiny car! i often worry its missing when walking back to where i parked it as it is small enough to be hidden behind superminis until you are pretty close.

hth

Guest alfaGTA

A dilema on this one and so many options!! If it was a "ringer" and you got it for a song would it be worth the headache to prep it for IVA and get GBS to enter it for IVA as a factory prepared car? Atleast then you'd know it was legit?

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Pond,

The problem is if the DVLA do a VIC (check) they will use the number plate chassis number and engine number to verify the vehicles identity.

If you get stopped by VOSA they will look back at their records and the testers there know a Zero from a 2B.

If you haven't walked away yet, find out the VOSA station who did the IVA and pay them a visit, their data will be clear.

In the short term the data on the V5, first registered (I hope it is an age related plate) and the date first imported into the UK should be different and the date imported into the UK after the date the Zero was launched.

Take the simple route walk away or get a 50% discount, chances are no one will ever find out.

I have just heard back from Richard at GBS regarding this car.

He has confirmed that it is Kosha and the dates do match up and that the registration is not an issue. So, I think I will take a chance and buy it!!

wish me luck!!!!