Mini Portable Welders

Guest Kennedy48

Guest Kennedy48

My friends looking to buy a mini portable mig welder. Preferably a non gas one. Just lookin for light jobs here and there for his car.

Anything you recommend, brand, size, price.

Cheers

Luke

Its a difficult one to answer, but the main advantage of MIG is that no flux will be entrained in the weld pool if using gas; & if decent welds are required something better than CO2 throw-away cans of gas is needed. I use a mixed gas which contains carbon dioxide/argon & oxygen The oxygen seems a strange one to be in a shielding gas but I'm told it is to increase the weld temp. anyways my welding improved no end after changing from disposable cans to proper gas from BOC.

Guest Kennedy48

Cheers guys.

Hes only looking for a cheap welder to fix sump gaurds on his 4x4.

I have the problem as my grandad has a couple of welders but he can't get any gas anymore with not being company registered.

Guest dinger

Its the dirty gases in the atmosphere that create a bad weld, Pure oxygen will sheild the weld pool from contaminates,

Argosheild is best at 10% argon and 90% oxygen,

I use this welder at home

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-demo-Wolf-Combination-MIG-140-Gas-No-Gas-Mig-Welder-/280934742310?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item416903f926

But looks like he only has a demo one left,

You really cant go wrong for the money, I used it on 3mm roll cage tubing with full pemetration,

Cheers guys.

Hes only looking for a cheap welder to fix sump gaurds on his 4x4.

I have the problem as my grandad has a couple of welders but he can't get any gas anymore with not being company registered.

Have been retired now for over 7 years & no probs with gas on a private account ( but maybe there could be with oxy/acet at home.)

Guest Kennedy48

Have been retired now for over 7 years & no probs with gas on a private account ( but maybe there could be with oxy/acet at home.)

My grandad ha a welding and fabrication company a few years ago. Used to get the boc truck coming with loads of bottles every so often with the argon. Don't know wat mix. He's still got a couple of welders but they told him he couldn't hire bottles and get gas without a company. Il have to see if we can gas but as my friend isn't a welder and only for small jobs a non gas for cheapness should be alright

Guest Kennedy48

Luke I have an advert for a ALbee 11L cylinder with built in regulater but its about £150 +vat

phone 0800 637737

HTH jon

Ok. Thanks. Il pass on the message

Cheers

Luke

Guest chrispine

thanks fatherhood, recently bought myself a Clarke 151te gas mig, (£260 in Machine Mart's vat free sale) well recommended, was looking to get a 5kg CO2 fire extinguisher from Ebay when the first bottle runs out, looks like the proper gas is actually cheaper, thanks again.

Chris

This might be me being dumb........but if you're grandad has got a some welders without gas.........and you're after a gasless welder......surely you can use your grandad's welders but change to gasless wire?

We've got two welders and always use gas mix, but I have got some gasless wire for our smaller welder that works fine on the odd occasion when we've ran out of gas.

IMO gasless welding isn't great and it's very smokey!!!!

Guest Kennedy48

My grandads got the welders from his old company. But his words to me was "I can't get any gas from boc without being company registered anymore" I never looked into it. I just agreed.

This post was only to help a friend who wants a mini portable welder for light jobs to mess around with and make things. Not a big one like my grandad has. I havnt got the right to lend out my grandads equipment so I can't offer him but my friends wanting to buy.

Luke