Wash Wipe Using Mini Motor

Jamiep

Hello electrical gurus,

can anyone tell me the best way to get wash/wipe with a single button using a mini motor.

I'm going to use a Lucas style 2 position rocker switch for the main 2 speed function and a billet switch from CBS for the wash.

Do I just use a standard relay with diode to trigger the washer pump and the park feed on the wiper? I'm thinking the diode will stop the pump running every time I put the wipers on.

Also, does anybody know the what ohms the resistor needs to be to dim the bulb when side lights come on?

thanks.

Push button switch to operate pump & energise relay coil; relay switch in parallel with normal wiper switch; park function works as standard. Diodes be devils devices; avoid the black art. And on the lamp dim Q --- which lamp/s & what wattage?

if it is the Lucas switch for the mini (Lucas) wiper motor you can do it without relays, Lucas wiper switch connects live to park when in off position. if its not you will have to fiddle with a relay circuit, however I cant see the need for a diode. as florin says

for those interested you can also do it with the ford switches. two speeds and park, no relay.

Thanks for reply's I realised after reading florin's response that the relay isolates the washer switch if wired in parallel so the pump will not be triggered when the wipers are used on their own. no diode required.

On the light dimming front I don't know the wattage of the LED in the CBS billet switch, CBS supply a 'dimming kit' which is just a resistor, short length of wire and three spade connectors. Basically the feed from the lights has the resistor to provide dim light, the second feed comes from the live out from the switch which bypasses the resistor and sends full power to the LED to give full brightness.

What I wanted was the LED bright during daylight and dimmed for night driving but, I think I'm adding complication for no reason, and for the few LED's that would have it, I wont save a lot by buying the resistors and making my own, rather then buying the CBS kit.

Maplins 1/4 watt resistors are 10 a penny so just get a load & play more resistance lower brightness. Have used a 4 position heater switch from CBS (off/low/med/high) with various resistors to give off/low/med/full LED brilliance. If you google LED wiring should find the way forward; just don't connect LED direct across 12 volt; they go bang!!