205 Pinto Engine

steve_wilson

hi all

planning on getting back on with the supercharged pinto project this winter soooo...

im after a 205 blocked standard bore pinto engine (i dont need the head but will take it if you dont want to split)

as already said, it must be standard bore with a good bit of life left in it.

more complete the betterer :)

dont mind driving an hour or two for a goodun

beer tokens waiting

cheers, steve

What bhp are you looking for?

If your not over boring to 93mm then the standard block is good enough

Only the Injection engine has the stronger rods and any way it's rpm that kills the rods not boost

How about a Transit low compression engine, later ones were 205 block and 8.2 to 1 so room for lots of boost.

Cam is best with high lift low duration

thanks dan i'll pm him

paul, i'm after about 200bhp, not too fussed really as long as its good, reliable power.

reason why i need another standard bore engine is;

my current engine is +1mm bore

i managed to get hold of some standard bore cossie pistons and rods for next to nothing

would also be nice to bench build the engine and supercharger while the hood still has its current engine in

so a standard bore 205 pinto is a must really... but they are very thin on the ground these days!

200bhp is no big deal for a standard bore Pinto

The reason for wanting a 205 is for over bore to 93mm marginal at best on a non 205

I understand that you want the best to work with

But don't discount a standard non 205 if you can't find a 205.

As you have already said 205's are rare and hold a premium.

The cossy rods are good to have but cossy pistons are a compromise, cut outs for 16V

You'll need new rings and hone the bore to fit

Not sure what compression you get fitting cossy pistons and rods to a Pinto 8V head

Interesting project.

The Transit low compression engines are often 205, I built my engine from one, and are cheaper as most want the high compression injection 205.

Perhaps some scrapyards may get you a cheaper 205

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest old_timbo

IIRC you get about 7.5:1 if you use Cossy Rods & Pistons in a PInto, so too low. Trouble with the standard cast pistons (including the low comp transit ones) is that the top ring land breaks up with boost over about 10 psi (0.7 bar). This equates to about 180-200bhp (and loads of torque) with a standard engine (9.2:1 pistons). So you really need forged pistons for decent higher levels of boost, which are expensive. Other alternative is Hypereutectic pistons which are a high performance version of cast and much cheaper. Haven't found a source for these yet, might be some VW Beetle ones that could be made to work, but I'm still researching this. My plan is to try and get everything working at low levels of boost and if successfull, build up a strong engine for higher boost levels.

well i guess i'd be happy with a non 205 in that case!

adjusting the CR wont be a problem, if i get 7.5:1 then i'll get a thin head gasket (felpro) and probably skim the block/head to to make up the difference

i'm about as tight as they come, so the idea of this little project is to make reasonable power without spending too much. forged pistons would be the ideal for this, but theyre a bit out of my budget.

i cant imagine my supercharger making much more than 10psi anyway with the pulley i've machined for it

thanks, steve

Hi Steve,

I'm about to embark upon putting a fresher 205 into mine (including Gearbox) which I have waiting.

So, my original 205 with 35,000 miles on the clock (plus I really don't know what) will soon be available.

It's a good engine - Good pressure and doesn't smoke and I'm only doing this swap for the decent gearbox and a engine that I'm much closer to knowing the mileage of.

Let me know if you're interested.

Regards...

Guest 2BJacko

hi all

planning on getting back on with the supercharged pinto project this winter soooo...

cheers, steve

I've got a 2.0 pinto injected 205 in my 2B which really is a bit on the lame side. I could barely keep up with a Ford Puma few weeks ago..! I suspect that the camshaft is probably well and truly worn out from tappet rattle .

Just picked up a sierra 2.0 twin cam engine and MT75 gearbox for peanuts recently though fitting it may be more trouble than it's worth..??? So thinking about going back to my orginal plan and and replace the cam shaft and stick a blower on the pinto engine.

So which supercharger is likely to best lend itself to being fitted to a pinto engine..?

Edited by 2BJacko

I've got a 2.0 pinto injected 205 in my 2B which really is a bit on the lame side. I could barely keep up with a Ford Puma few weeks ago..! I suspect that the camshaft is probably well and truly worn out from tappet rattle .

Just picked up a sierra 2.0 twin cam engine and MT75 gearbox for peanuts recently though fitting it may be more trouble than it's worth..??? So thinking about going back to my orginal plan and and replace the cam shaft and stick a blower on the pinto engine.

So which supercharger is likely to best lend itself to being fitted to a pinto engine..?

bike carbs fr 32 cam vernier pulley felprp head gasket and you would be looking at 150bhp in the pinto, dohc engine is not worth a peanut...

Guest alfaGTA

DOHC is good strong engine but far too heavy and slow revving for a seven, keep the mt75 and the starter motor and get yourself a zetec? If you are gonna start tuning the pinto you might as well tune the zetec......... bike carbs will cost you the same whatever you attach them to as will megajolt...... the current state of engine tune may be at fault for the poor performance but the 2B is heavy and once above 60mph will struggle to keep up the the puma esp as its coming into its power (we're assuming it wasn't a racing puma?)

Guest 2BJacko

I've got no idea what spec the Puma was ? Ive had a similar experience against a Corsa VXR.

The pinto has a very lumpy tickover I've not done a compression test on the engine yet and it has a very loud tappet type rattle so I figure the camshaft is long past it's best.

I find the idea of fitting a supercharger an interesting idea though I'm not into the idea of having one protruding through the bonnet.

Guest 2bchris

I got my donor pack (with pinto engine) from birch brothers near Queensbury. He probably has about 20 sierras in various states so may be worth a call, his details are on the www.

Cheers,

Chris

no need to have anything sticking out of the bonnet

see my thread here

if you're after more power i'd go down the zetec route. supercharging a pinto isnt straightforward, especially on bike carbs. kinda wish i'd just gone for a zetec instead of messing about with a pinto!

i reckon if you made good use of ebay and owners clubs you could re-build a pinto to a pretty decent spec for under £500

thanks for the advice chaps, but i think grizzly has sorted me out with an engine :)

cheers, steve

Guest 2BJacko

Found a low milage 2.1 engine on Fleabay for £400. It's a 205 block, the head had been removed to check the engine size so I got chance to check the bores before buying and there's no sign of bore wear. The head has been gas flowed and the valve guides still look new it has a vernier pulley and highlift cam with no signs of wear on any of the lobes.

Edited by 2BJacko