Solar Trickle Charger

bullfist

Can anybody recommend a solar battery trickle charger?

Looking for something cheapish but of quality (i.e. "best bang for my bucks") - all the stuff on amazon/ebay offer diminutive charging currents at inflated costs.

Alternatively, I guess I could buy (say) a 20w solar panel off ebay, and build the charging circuit - anybody got any circuits?

Thanks,

-Steve

No power in your garage Steve? Have you considered an Odyssey Gel Battery ( very low self drain) & a battery isolator switch to prevent any leakage through car wiring. Haven't re-read the Odyssey blurbs but think they wiil hold charge for several months.

i have a 10 watt solar cell

according to the info that comes with it, for that size cell you dont actually need a regulator as it hasnt got enough grunt to kill a lead acid battery

mine however does run a solar shunt reg

Bob,

Got in my car at the weekend and the battery was flat (not used for two weeks, and battery sounded tired last time I used it). Was OK after charging. But now car has been SORNed (time to put in a heater!). So I need something to keep the battery topped up over winter. Yes can use power in garage, but also have plenty of light in garage, and thought solar would appeal to (eco-friendly) Leanne :) . If I take solar, then I can also use when out for the day (when the battery starts tiring).

The battery is only 30 months old, so should be OK. When this one dies, I can look at an Obyssey.

-Steve