Keeping Warm Strategies

Ben Powers

Well having priced up a conventional heater system at approx £200 my stingey/creative/bodgetastic side has kicked in trying to think of alternatives.

I had a thought that installing a couple of aluminium pipes on/under/around the exhaust manifolds, (of which I have 2 because v8's are epic), running them from the front of the engine to the bulkhead, then ducting the hot air from there through a fan to the windscreen. This would cut out the need for plumbing, reducing weight (not that important) and cost (very important). Is this bonkers? Have others tried it or something similar before?

I would expect the heat transfer between exhaust manifold and air within the pipe to be sufficient anyway, but could be improved by using a rolled sheet of aluminium rather than a pipe, increasing contact area and the time air spends in the hot tube. There would be an added benefit in that I expect the exhaust manifold heats up pretty quick once the engine is on.

Would it really be that easy or am I missing something... Usually if it seems straightforward I've missed something!

Ok, well nobody has said I'm bonkers. If the pipe ran from the front, behind the radiator, that would handily ensure clean air and minimise engine-fire-to-face-system. My only worry then is that a front impact might send 2 skewers through the bulkhead into the cockpit/occupants. More thought and some research on VWs then...

Richard, I'm actually dreaming about it now! Less than a week to go 'til pick up, and 2 autosolos and 2 days demonstrating autotesting booked in for January already :-D

Guest Kennedy48

Would a silicon pipe cope with temperatures around the exhaust manifold? I know the water filled pipes do... Could then include more pipe, duct clean air and remove the risk of a driver kebab?

Could you use silicon pipe at start and end and use metal pipe around exhaust.

Well this all sounds promising. The drive back from Essex to home will be a good test. I'm only getting ahead of myself slightly as I have a couple of days at the NEC giving passenger rides the following weekend and wanted to have any required heating already in place for it. Requiring cooling will give me an excuse to buy one of those cool air intakes... :-)

i wouldnt duct air from around the exhaust into the cabin, if you have a leak it could kill you. Could you make a small matrix out of copper pipe and fittings.

CBS do a matrix and fan that looks like its just copper loop with a fan blowwing through, if anyone has one they may let you measure up to make a copy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been out in the freezing mist. Problem is not heating, as suggested the v8 keeps the legs warm, wrapping up keeps the rest warm. The only problem is that my goggles won't fit because I can't stop grinning like a loon when driving!

• Like 1

I've just been out in the freezing mist. Problem is not heating, as suggested the v8 keeps the legs warm, wrapping up keeps the rest warm. The only problem is that my goggles won't fit because I can't stop grinning like a loon when driving!

That's more like it...welcome to the club :good:
  • Like 1