Identifying Models?

Guest Nic Burton

Guest Nic Burton

Hi, I'm completely new to world of Kit Cars and having looked around many many forums and spoken to a few people and my current budget I have decided to focus on Robin Hood's...... (your forums certainly seem a little more friendly than some others!)

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I could find out more about the RH models and maybe identifying factors / photos?.... If I’ve missed the link; sorry!

Apart from rewiring my house and generally taking things to bits and re-building them (Oh and rebuilding my parents tractor mower when I drove it into the pond), my mechanical knowledge is not vast but I am game for a go and certainly wish to change that and improve my skills.... we all had to start somewhere, right?! (Famous last words!)

The main trouble is I only have a small budget of £2.5k maybe slightly higher if something needed less work, but in all honestly I'm really looking for a project that will help 'teach' me things and learn along the way. Any suggestions (if any) models would fall within budget? I have spent most of the day reading about the SVA but realise it'll be cheaper to buy one that isn’t and work through to gaining it.... I’m happy to do so.

Looking forward to attending and meeting some of you at local meets and apologise in advance for any ‘novicey’ ridiculous questions along the way!

Nic

(p.s. sorry it’s a little of an intro post too.... i couldn’t find an intro section?)

Welcome!

http://nw.rhocar.org/identification.htm

That's the link showing the photos of the differing front suspensions, which is the simplest way to identify cars.

At that budget, you're probably looking for an older monocoque car, such as the exmo (shame you just missed that one for sale on here), but you might find others.

I took the same path, buying one that was road going, and it has taught me a lot. There's not much on it that i haven't done now!

Andy

Guest david_l_perry

Hi nic

I did exactly what you are talking about.

I got myself a completed and working Robin Hood 2b that needed a little bit of work, but not too much. Most of the work I have been doing are jobs that I simply wanted to do, rather than really needing to do.

Mine was a pretty tidy example and was around £3750, but there are a number that I have seen for far less, older And perhaps not quite as tidy. I initially only wanted to spend the same as you but ended up selling my spleen to get a bit more cash.

Before I bought one I got in touch with the local area sec and went for a blast out in his car. It was then I knew that a hood was for me....massive grin from ear to ear, and every bit as much fun as riding a motor bike bike without the deathly falling off part that I got too good at in the past ....

I really liked the friendly nature of the forum as well.....

Get in touch with your local area sec and go and see a few different hoods. After a spin out in a couple of hoods I realised that it was the 2b that I wanted as it suited my fat arse.

After a couple of years I can probably see myself wanting to make a kit for myself as I love the tinkering but this is the sensible way in for me to see how much I will enjoy the car.

I am loving the hood, and really enjoy messing with the car, and learning stuff along the line.

Dave

When I built I used time to find extra money

i.e. I bought the basics and as time went by I afforded all the extras

Start with a basic chassis and wishbones most of the rest will come from the donor, by the time you have made that lot fit you'll have money for the nice bits

Hi Nic,

Welcome to the club. If you post your location someone will let you know where your local meeting is so that you can come along and chew the fat and get a lot of helpful advice.

Bob

Guest Nic Burton

http://nw.rhocar.org...ntification.htm

That's the link showing the photos of the differing front suspensions, which is the simplest way to identify cars.

Fantasic - Thank you.

At that budget, you're probably looking for an older monocoque car, such as the exmo (shame you just missed that one for sale on here), but you might find others.

I know, I did enquire, but I was too slow! ....(Nothing like kicking yourself!) Will keep looking and be nice to see a few more in the flesh!

If you post your location someone will let you know where your local meeting is so that you can come along and chew the fat and get a lot of helpful advice.

Hi Bob, I'm in Halesowen, which is Stourbridge / Dudley way, about 15 mins from Birmingham. (B63)

.... Just noticed that poncy photo as my little picture....I gather it must be as I logged in through facebook, ha! Will change swiftly!

Hi Nic,

West Midlands meeting is on the last Wednesday of every month at the Malt Shovel (just off Stonebridge Island on the A45) from about 7.30 pm. Come along for a chat.

Bob

I would say, but will stand corrected, early 2B with sliding pillar front suspention.

If its all there as suggested should be possible to complete with little extra expence, but you will have to revisit some of the build to comply with the newer regulations.

Also it would make life easier if there was a log book for the donor engine. and go for an age related plate, with out it you will have to prove engine age or meet current emision regs, as it is fuel injected it should be possible but you will need a CAT in the exhaust.

Guest Tim Norman

Its a 2B/04 with the mini Macpherson Strut suspension. Quite good set up just meeds a brace from the top of the suspension back to the lower suspension body mount to stop the flexing. Mine worked a treat before I bent it jumping over a ditch! Nothing to do with the suspension more a sticking throttle. :sorry: