Keeping It Legal? Front Registration Plate.

Guest RoborRoss

I have fitted a full size plate to the front of my 2B Plus, made a bracket to fix it to, seems OK but must admit haven't had it IVA'd yet, or MOT'd but hopefully should be OK.

John

same place as mine. passed sva in 2007 and never had a problem with it so hopefully should be fine for you. i have mine tilted slightly upwards to get a little more clearance.

Hi John

Believe it or not front number plate does not come under the IVA rules, so do not fit it as they can have you on external projections...

The only one they check is to ensure you have enough space for the rear plate (warning, some number plate holders will not accept their template, so better off just leaving an empty space on the back to be safe, with lighting of course)

Guest Alan_builder

Hi John

You don't have a number until you pass IVA, and subsequently go through registration (BUIVR) so that number is illegal!

I suspect it is the number of your donor vehicle? You cant use that on your kit!

If you drive to IVA you must take it off first, you drive to IVA without number plates and I would suggest all fixings and fittings. Two less item to fail on!

What you have done in terms of fitting looks fine for post IVA / registration.

Don't have your car MOT. Take it to your station only if you wish to have them check out the lights and brakes etc. but do not have them do an MOT, don't let them log it onto the DVLA data base, that will cost you £100 for the 2 MOT you don't need years 1 & 2 as after IVA it is a new car and has 3 years without an MOT even if it has a Q or age related plate..

hmm maybe i didn't have the front fitted for sva?! either way i've never had a problem since

that will cost you £100 for the 2 MOT you don't need years 1 & 2 as after IVA it is a new car and has 3 years without an MOT even if it has a Q or age related plate..

agreed don't mot it but you prob won't have 3 years grace anyway. I didn't! but that does depend on which DVLA sorts it.

Only brand new builds should get 'new' status (and therefore a 2013 plate) and 3 years grace. Age related plates should only get 1 year before mot.

But there is a load of inconsistency. One chap on here had the good fortune to be given a brand new plate instead of an age-related! so you never know but definitely check after one year to make sure either way.

hth

Guest Alan_builder

you prob won't have 3 years grace anyway. I didn't! but that does depend on which DVLA sorts it.

Only brand new builds should get 'new' status (and therefore a 2013 plate) and 3 years grace.

hth

I think you will find one of the reasons DVLA offices are closing / providing restricted service is because there are not enough of them who know what to do and thus do their own thing, which is often wrong!

After IVA when you go to register your kit, you don't use the same form as change of ownership. There is a special form for registering kits.

Has your Kit been registered before (a question on the forms) NO and that makes it a new registration, Q or age related or a "New 2013". If you don't know and the man at DVLA also doesn't or you fill the forms in wrong you may not get what you are entitled to.

Guest RoborRoss

So, two screw holes in the nosecone and a badly scuffed number plate under the passenger seat and claim it just fell off? Or a plate formed like a front splitter / air scoop?

Decisions, decisions!