Chevy Steering Wrack

ragey

Hi chaps.

heres a question for you, my mate is restoring a 1947 chevy truck he has put jag front suspension on.

The thing is he needs a steering wrack, left hand drive jag left hand wracks are hard to find and he has been told you can use rover sdi turned around. So why cant you turn any wrack round and has any one got a jag left hand wrack or a sdi

Paul.

Wot is it with this spelin on hear don't anybody cheque befour posting to the fourum?

Now if you mean that you require a steering rack then that's a whole new ball game!

I guess that a rack could be fitted the wrong way around with a bit of good engineering but not the best of ideas. It all depends on what would fit the bill, but it would be a bodge than a restoration in my eyes. I'll bet that there are plenty in the U.S.A.

in all seriousness, i can't see much wrong with turning a rack around, you just need to make it fit, but i guess that's the point of the exercise :)

They are only packed with grease so i can't see a lubrication issue

Turning it over to get the spline on the "wrong" side means that you reverse the direction the rack turns.

If youre building from scratch, you just reverse the steering arms (if separate) on the hubs.

Otherwise its pretty much a no-no.

We're currently building a new chassis for Rays Chevy, & the rack options are driving us nuts even though we are using Capri hubs which have reversible arms.

Bob