Fuel Consumption

Guest Alasdair

Guest Alasdair

Now the weather has improved I am just starting to use the 2B I bought last year. It has twin Weber 40s and a road/rally cam but my MPG is terrible, admittedly I have been stuck in traffic a fair bit but 16mpg seems a bit bad. :o

I would be interested to know what other people get with a similar setup.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Greg

Hi Alasdair,

I used to have a pinto on 45's 190bhp, it went like stink. On track 8mpg :o Being VERY gentle with it 25 mpg.The cam I had would swing a little changing the power/economy, it was set up to give the highest bhp. As usual you pay for it! Have you set up on a rolling road? It may be worth the expense.

I'm a firm vauxhall convert after only a few weeks running, I could never get back from stoneleigh with the pinto without filling up at least once, (depending who went past me on the motorway :p ) The vaux came all the way home on a tankfull (185 bhp) 'nough said B)

Greg

Guest ian luxford

i have twin 40's with the standard cam and get similar consumption. must admit i am getting very tempted by the vaux boys but not sure i could cope with changing the engine! does anyone know a rough cost to have it changed for me?? (i think i can hear a plug coming!! :lol: :lol: ) (oh and a telling off from jim :o :o )

maybe i will get scanning the articles on here properly and see what i can do.

is a zetec a easier changeover? i have an exmo by the way

Guest Greg

The costs have been explored previously in various posts. Get trawling the net and see what you can pick up the bits for. It took me a while to get the bits together but you can make some good savings. The ally sump costs can be overcome by producing your own as with the pinto. I was given a cav rwd sump by another member (THANK YOU) which holds about 4l (se pic next post)

Mines an exmo, plenty of room after you take the pinto out ;)

After the bits are purchased you've just the labour to pay ;)

I know a few people with the experience :rolleyes: but they're up here in the wild north west.

It's well worth it.

post-11-1085048752.jpg

Guest Russler

I had a pinto with twin 40's and rally cam etc 155bhp. that ran at about 20mpg, I now have a zetec with throttle bodies and cams 175bhp, and this will do 25mpg on a good day. :rolleyes: dom't know about fitting one in an exmo but a 2b is no prob.

Guest Tim Norman

Bob managed 25 to the gallon on his last long trip up North. He has twin 45's big lairy cam and stage three etc. I wasn't exactly hanging around. Ifind that having the screen off helps.

(oh and a telling off from jim

Why would I tell you off? you've realised just what I've been saying for years, if you want the extra power with a Pinto by putting in fast cams, and running on twin Webbers, you will notice 2 distinctive things, the poor "off cam" on low revs, and the high fuel consumption, take 20 mpg as the norm, there are a few (like Tim) who seem to get better (could have an optimistic speedo as well!) but there are plenty that get much worse. Go and look how many sets of Webbers for Pinto's are for sale at any one time on E-bay.

Standard 2.0l pinto with 32/36 DGV gives me 34 to the gallon

I know that figure isn't made up, as that was around what I was getting before I put the FR32 cam in.

does anyone know a rough cost to have it changed for me

I don't know just what someone would charge for the labour, but if you took your time finding the bits, and by checking the various web sites daily (so as not to miss the bargains!) by using the 8v ignition, along with 2nd hand carbs etc. etc. I think it can be done for less than £1K. Buying new bits, along with mapped ignition will seriously bump up the price.

Guest gordon_macnab

Why all the fuss over MPG, I'm sure that MPG wasn't foremost in anyones mind when buying the kits/cars.

If it was then all the cars would be diesel powered and slow and boring (and even noiser) which is not why anyone builds the cars.

Obvoiusly eveyone wants their car to run as efficient as possible, but with the aeordynamics of a brick a Hood's never going to break any MPG records.

The cars are built to look good, go well, make a great noise and give loads of fun.

I think hoods are all about smiles per miles not miles per gallon.

I'm sure everyone would rather drive their car more and have to fill up more often than using the tin top more with less trips to fill up.

Gordon