Hot Tip For Zero Owners Using Gbs Quickshift

Guest merc190provan

Guest merc190provan

I was travelling along about 70mph one day last summer when a horrific noise with lots and banging and clanking came from my propshaft just after i had changed down from 5th to 3rd. i took a close slip road off only to find i was stuck in fifth gear. Managed to limp home with an awful smell of clutch !! Upon inspection it was found that one of the pins that secures the linkage knuckle on the quickshift had fallen out due to the securing O-ring breaking !! The bottom half of the linkage had fallen into the spinning prop, breaking of the grease nipple and bending the linkage !!! A lucky escape really as a lot more damage could have been done !! A small piece of heat shrink and voila !!

post-4346-0-01738600-1360103071_thumb.jpg

Edited by merc190

Hi,

I think that design has been changed as I don't recall two O rings with mine. More like a 3/4 spring clip with a pin through it. More like the Euro symbol ¤ :)

Simon.

That is what mine is like. It was a bugger to get off when fitting the quick shift so I think it should be ok. Will take another look next time the tunnel top is off.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this post checked the O rings today as I had the tunnel top off. Both rings brittle and were ready to split and fall off. Replaced with new ones and heat shrink added for the extra piece of mind.

post-13078-0-60157300-1412535099_thumb.jpg

Edited by ac01
  • Like 1