Windscreen Sealing

Guest Dave Skirrow

Guest Dave Skirrow

I took my windscreen off to paint the bonnet. Along the bottom, the frame and bonnet were sealed with some sort of rubber. Looked like black silicone but it was much tougher. I've managed to get it all off but when I refit the bonnet, what's the best stuff to use?

I don't really want to put more rubber sealant back on as it makes it difficult to remove the screen without messing up the paint. I assume there is some sort of rubber strip I can buy for this, can anyone suggest which is the right type?

Guest Ian & Carole

If the lower screen frame has a groove in it you can get a rubber seal for it try GBS or Woolies.

If no groove then flexibale sealer is the other option.

You could try to glue a rubber seal to base of screen as another option.

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers, no groove so it looks like it will be more sealant.

I know it sticks most things to most things quite well, as it stuck itself to the paintwork more than the paintwork was stuck to the body :(

I'm fitting the rubber T trim to a non grooved screen.

Whilst it fits under where the screen bottom rail is close to the body the big issue is the corners.

A this point getting a good looking finish is a little beyond my creativity

Guest Noddy006

One you can try, Put cling film on bonnet, run a layer of black gutter sealant (B & Q) on frame, fit screen - don't pull down to tight , allow to go off (several days if possible) take off screen, remove cling film and you have a made to measure rubber joint, refit screen and pull down tight. I used this stuff to build up a rubber pad (to change angle)behind rear light clusters. Still feels rubbery after 3 years. Ian H

You could build it up but due to it's tacky nature you might find dirt sticks to it. It's really suited for sealing smaller gaps rather than filling in big areas (say greater than 3mm).

On my 2B I filled the gap between the bottom of the screen frame and the scuttle with a shaped black plastic sheet that was thick enough to fit in the groove along the bottom of the screen frame and then just sealed that to the scuttle with a small bead of black pu sealer.

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers Richy, think I'll go for the clingfilm and sealant trick. Might get some of the Butyl strip anyway though, I imagine it will come in useful for various other things.