What Brake Cylinder To Use.

Guest gerry s7

Guest gerry s7

Hi guys, hoping someone out there can give advice. Have got got an s7 and im swapping the old pinto for 2ltr blacktop, have got most of the parts sorted, but am at a crossroads. Because carbs now on drivers side have removed brake cylinder and servo. I have brought the gbs brake pedal set up as used in the zero but this will need a lot of cutting and welding. was looking at it this morning and was looking at maybe keeping original sierra setup but finding a shorter brake cylinder. Does anyone know of a shorter cylinder which could fit. or any other ideas, of what route to go.cheers...

Guest shaggy

Gerry, I've just done the same mod on a S7 and used a ford ka master cylinder with a pushrod from Tiger racing. Works a treat, and just enough clearance between the MC and Throttle bodies.

Just remember to stamp, rather than press when braking

Guest old_timbo

Think the Fiat / Lada master cylinder is a smaller diameter than the KA so more travel and less stomp required. Quite a lot on the Locost builders site about it.

Guest gerry s7

Hi guys thanks for the replys. I have actually got a ka cylinder with the three ports, but when i lined up the holes on the sierra pedal box and the cylider the cylinder sits at an angle. Just wondering Simon did you have this issue? Also seeing as youve done the same conversion are there any other problems i will come across.

List of parts ive got so far... 2ltr blacktop - silvertop ally sump shortend (not baffled or windage tray) - small starter motor lucas lrs 543 -alternator lra101- engine mounts - zetec 1.8 modified flywheel and 2ltr pinto clutch with spigot bearing - bike carbs from gbs - eddis 4 and loom( to be spliced) - standard exhaust manifold - gear extension turret. Many thanks.....

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the ka cylinder on my s7. Redrilled the pedal box to get the cylinder upright and made an alloy spacer plate so the cylinder didn't foul a couple of bolts. Made my own adjustable rod. Great! Then my wife says " I don't think there's enough clearance from the top of the reservoir to the bonnet". She was right so it all came off and I fitted a Fiat 132 (19mm bore) cylinder with remote reservoir.

Hi ive also just fitted a blacktop 2.0 to my S7 after removing a 1.6 pinto I used the GBS pedal set-up but raised it up 1-1/2 inch on its mounting and have used the standard sierra m/c after drilling a 50mm hole in bulk head for the rear of m/c to pass through this means the fluid res sits next to bulk head with very easy access to top ups etc another thing to bear in mind eddis will lock timing to 15deg . I also use a type 9 5 speed and never had to use a gear lever extn as the engine droped straight onto excisting mounting points I also used standard zetec clutch ,flywheel etc after buying the longer clutch lever pin from GBS also you will need windage tray and baffles ( learned this the hard way 2 silver tops later)