Suspension

Guest Anthony B

Guest Anthony B

Hi all

New to this board but been reading for a while.

I bought a built S7 last September and have been steadily changing things to improve it (no discredit to the builder mind).

So far I have tie rodded the front, practically rewired the thing, retrimmed it all and fitted new seats, fitted a VW polo heater (very good!) and removed the viscous fan and fitted an electric one from a Rover 4 series.

The only stumbling blocks I now have are how do I identify which springs are fitted (in pounds/inch), and what radiator types have you guys fitted.

My rad is the cortina type behind the cross member and generally runs well when on the move (approx 85 degrees). However, when standing in traffic the fan struggles to lower the temperature just really keeping it in check.

Do you guys have any tips for top class cooling systems? Engine is standard 2.0 litre pinto.

Thanks in advance.

Ant

Re. the springs, if you have the inboard shocker/spring arrangement the original springs were usually red in colour and about 180lb/in rating. You may find it marked on the end of the spring but to see it the spring needs to be removed. I have gone down to 120lb/in springs which used to be black in the catalogue but when I bought them last year from RHE they were red as well, a new supplier apparently. The car is much better with the softer springs, some people go lower I would think 100 would be the minimum. Concerning the rad, you could fit it in the nose which helps but I found an improvement to be fitting on extra louvre in the bonnet (exhaust) side to let the hot air out.

Peter.

Guest daveg

Ant

Don't worry about all the work you're doing, I think we've proved a kit car is never finished :D

I am building a 2b and I got a rad from RHE, but I probably won't know how good it is for a while...

Dave

It depends which fron suspension you have on, if they are the inboard springs, then go for 130 lb, also if the rear ones are coil over shocks, then go to 160 lbs.

With the radiator, you can either put it in the nosecone and fit a leccy fan etc, or you can make a cowl up (see piccy) the makes the fan drag the air through the radiator and not from under / over it. Also blank off the area between the radiator and underside of the nosecone (make the air go through the rad)

post-3-1050784200.jpg

Guest Anthony B

Thanks for the replies gents

I am tempted to fit a nose cone mounted radiator but I am not sure which ones will fit and have the hose stubs the same way round as the cortina one.

Actually the heater does a good bit towards keeping it cool. I have mounted it on top of the tunnel inside the car and completely replated and sealed the bulkhead which looks pretty tidy.It really does chuck out some heat, much more than the Mini one I took out.

the cooling fan I have fitted is very close to the water pump pulley and I was also wondering if there is a type of water pump with a slimmer pulley nose or a shorter shaft that will enable me to fit a bigger fan. I have about 90mm between the rad and the pulley.

The springs are the red ones and the front end does feel very harsh. The tie rods transformed the steering fel once I got the castor set and the tracking done.

Cheers guys, great board by the way.

Ant