Zetec Struggling To Keep Cool

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

The weather has been great today around 25 degrees so I took the car out on a long run, standard waterrail set up on the zetec with out an over flow at the moment. On driving the temp was a stable 75 degrees however when stopped the temp would shoot up to 94 within around 1 min of Idiling, the fan then kicked in but would not drop the temperature. I let the car run in the drive a d with the fan on for 15 mins the temp did not change to allow the fan to cut out, I allowed the engine to cool and checked the water level and it was completely full, the idle of the engine I'd around 1000 rpm, is this to high to allow the fan to cool? I have not had this issue before and not changed anything. All that's changed is today is much Warner than previous days, it's a standard gbsc rad with a 12" fan in front on the rad pushing air through to the engjne bay... Which was roasting... Was also the longest drive I've done in the car, engine was running for around 3 hours non stop. It did not over heat just the fan struggled to lower the temps and cut out, any suggestions ?

I have a similar issue on my pinto engine 2b. but mine is the rad not up to the job imo.

you shouldn't have that issue with the factory stuff. is your bonnet vented at all. is the air getting through the rad.

and lastly is the fan blowing the air in the correct way..... ask me how I know that one. :help:

Guest mcramsay

I checked the air flow its definitely sucking in front front and blowing through the rad into the engine bay, there are no vents in the bonnet, there are no vents in the bonnet so I suppose there is no where for the heat to escape, but still I thought it might lower the temp slightly

Hi

Getting similar readings in my XT only done 250 miles so far but I found my fan struggled today to keep the temp down. My running temp is a bit higher at around 89 crept up to 96 in traffic and slowly rising even with fan on.

I'm thinking bigger or more powerfull fan as its fine on the move?

ECU has a closed circuit system and tends to be more accurate than the gauge, it is set to operate fan at 98 and off at 94.

plug in your PC and see what the ECU thinks is happening.

have you got twin fillers of single on water rail?

Edited by knights_templar

Guest mcramsay

Single filler, using the capless gbsc rad, the ecu and dash temps are normally within 2 degrees of eachother, but I will run the car up tomorrow from cold and see how it manages the temps, I don't think it's a coincidence that today was our warmest day and the longest time I have had the engine running. Normally the fan can cope!

Guest mower man

Vent the bonnet,you can blow all you like but if it can't get out the thing will run hot end of! and bear in mind the last couple of days ar far hotter than last year mower man

Guest mcramsay

I didn't think it was coincidental that its the hottest day and the car won't stay cool, I will look into getting some vents on the thing