Iva - Fail

Shandylegs

Having previously put a couple of cars through the SVA test a few years ago, I had my first introduction to the IVA on Wednesday.

The car had failed with the previous owner early in 2010 and although way out of date for the 6 month retest I used the previous fail sheet as a guide to what needed rectifying to obtain a pass. it failed again but It's pleasing to know that other than one point, they fails were not for same items as last time.

1. Noise - This is the one point that the car failed on, on both tests. The old style GBS can is rubbish, many cars have failed with it in the past and I'd tried to fudge it by using a decibel killer fitted into the exhaust just before the silencer. Although it did sound quieter the ear, the DB meter said a resounding no at 106db!
  2. Fuel pipe rubbing slightly on hand brake cable when hand brake applied
  3. Brake pipe possibly too close to exhaust manifold in the engine bay
  4. VIN not the correct fomat
  5. Aero screen too high
  6. Mushroom inserts need a self tapper adding
  7. Brake fluid switch inoperative
  8. Steering rack gather are catching the suspension mounts on full lock
  9. Tester couldn't read the speedo

All in all, I'm fairly pleased with the result. Tester - top man - was thorough as you would expect, but really fair and took the time to talk through each fail point and what I could/would need do to rectify the problems. So far my thoughts are as follows but would appreciate your views or advice:

1. No option but to replace the silencer (Anyone have anything lying around or a vist to Mr Keenan or Wunoff will be required)
  2. Easy fix - Piece of rubber
  3. East fix - Tester said he wopuld be happy with an ali heat shield covering the brake pipe
  4. Easy fix - Format for this has changed since the car was initially built, presumably GBS or Ebay will have something suitable
  5. Easy fix - It's only a piece of perspex so out with the saw!
  6. Easy fix - Drill and screw or nut & bolt so there is no way the insert can come out
  7. Easy fix - Buy new switch for the top of the master cylinder (Anyone have one lying around?)
  8. To be fair i didn't notice this. Having read up other people have had this problem and have used spacers to mount the rack a little higher (Anyone have any pics?)
  9. Difficult one this. I'd raised the steering column as I'm tall and could just see the speedo with the mountney wheel fitted (with protective pad). I've thrown my Sierra wheel away as there is no way I could drive the car with it fitted - This was before I decided to raise the column. (Does anyone have a Sierra wheel i could try to see if it would now fit and then borrow / purchase for the retest?)

Thanks........

the noise test is based on the figures you provide to the DVLA.

the book says

With the vehicle at normal operating temperature, run the engine at 3⁄4

of its ‘maximum power’ speed, and note the sound level reading

obtained.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/phantomtollbooth/pinto/engines.html

approx 4200

Where the engine maximum power speed is not available, the

test may be carried out at 2/3 of engine maximum design speed.

approx 4500

GBS ZERO exhaust will go through at 98-99 db at 4200ish, gets noiser above that, db killer usually sorts though.

• 1 month later...

All ready for the retest tomorrow afternoon.

Thumbs up to Martin Keenan who sorted me out with a silencer and link pipe. Built to my spec i.e. As cheap as possible but must be able to pass the IVA (Both noise and construction). I'm really pleased with the result, far better than the original in terms of looks and for a very good price.

Exhaust2_zpsd56add8c.jpg

Exhaust1_zpsd4b34d13.jpg

• Like 1

Had a lovely 70 mile motorway drive to Beverley in monsoon like conditions.

Good news - the car passed.

Slightly better weather on the way back so had a little play. Quite pleased with the way it drove, not quick but very compliant.

Bad news - It didn't make it back!

The sump is holed. The car did still have reasonable oil pressure when I noticed, but the leak was too bad to risk continue driving. It's been stashed somewhere safe until I can hire a trailer to get it home.

I'm just hoping there has been no damage as it's was a completely rebuilt lump.

Bit of a quick rub down with some sand paper, tube of JB Weld and some fresh oil and the car is now back home in the garage and still leak free (Rather impressed with JB Weld). Oil pressure seems ok and no untoward noises after a blast up the M1 so think i got away with it.

Now onto the next hundle, registration.........