New Iva Fog Light Requirements

PaulF2B

In my cct above it sides (or dip lights if you want) AND ignition on..... Not sides OR ignition on.

For the fogs to come on all three items to be ON If any of the three items is turned off the fogs will go off UNTIL deliberately turned back on again . As per IVA.

Fitted the Cartek in about 15 minutes, works fine and very easy to install. Instructions are very comprehensive for the majority of switch types, rocker, savage, toggle etc.

Highly recommended, no fuss and the unit will fit through the switch hole so no need to strip the dash with the rocker switch you do have to switch the rocker off then on again to power the fog lights. One less problem for IVA.

Guest davidm

Is this a contradiction, or is it just me?

The rear fogs can't be allowed to turn on just with sidelights, yet...

"The rear fog lamp(s) may continue to operate until the position lamps (ie sidelights) are switched off"

So you turn the sidelights on - rear fogs mustn't come on

You turn (say) the dipped beams on and switch on the rear fogs - that's ok

You then turn the dipped beams off, but it's OK for the rear fogs can stay on, even though you're back to just sidelights again.

Ok - I know - why would you want to do that, but surely it should say that the rear fogs must go off once you're back to just sidelights?

With other items not being tested due to them being on the original vehicle ie steering wheel...Does that method still apply to electronics too? My donor vehicle had the fog lights operate with side lights if the switch was pressed, wouldn't return to off if the lights were off (but the actual fog lights went out) to then come back on if the switch hadn't been turned off but the lights came back on. The wiring and buttons/switches are all the same that were on the donor, it was simply plugged back together.....

I expect that the IVA tester will want the electrics to meet the current standard even if the doner electrics were designed to a previous set of rules.

If WallerZ's doner is an old Mazda (guess from your car type) maybe then the reg's allowed the rear fogs to come back on with the lights if you had not switched off the fogs.

But now you will need to go down one of the 2 routes available, if you want to retain the existing switchgear then the buzzer route may be easiest.

I plan to test out a buzzer circuit myself this weekend on my Sierra stalks / VG loom and will post the circuit if it works out :)

I have already done a buzzer and light conversion on my Zero, works as you would expect, I have a circuit drawing if anyone wants a copy just pm me. I would post on hear but I can't seem to find a simple way to do this.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi,

I attach a copy of the fog light buzzer circuit I have just implemented on my 2b, this only requires a single relay and still allows the single pole switch to be used.

When the main or high beam is on the relay will be energised allowing the fog light to operate, otherwise the relay will be off and no fog light will be on, irrespective of the fog light switch position.

However if the relay is off and the switch is turned on, then the buzzer circuit is active, allowing the buzzer to be grounded through the switch and the lamp itself making an audible tone.

As the buzzer only takes a few mA (30mA for the one used) this is insufficient to light the 21W fog lamp itself which takes 1.75A.

So whenever the you do not have both the ignition and headlights on, the buzzer will sound to tell you the fog light switch has been left on. This should meet these latest IVA requirements.

The buzzer was only £1.50 from Proops (Ebay) and a few pence for the rectifier diode so this should be a very cheap, quick solution.

The numbers on my diagram are based on the Sierra stalks and colours are from the Vicky Green loom.

Hope this helps :)

Regards

Paul

post-4598-0-26118300-1381183345_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulF 2B

Guest davidm

I've fired off an email to the VOSA technical team, asking for written clarification over a couple of points I'm unsure about, and also for a statement of exactly what the intention is behind the new rules.

I reckon that if I follow both the intent and the clarified rules (assuming they don't conflict!), my local tester can't then fail me on the rear fogs because his interpretation happens to be different. I shall be taking the documentation along to IVA, just in case!

I'll let you know when VOSA get back to me with a reply.

Guest erichetherington

I've gone the Cartek route route, perhaps not the cheapest way but I emailed them one evening for details of their product and had a reply within minutes at about 9pm.

Brilliant service, easy to fit and it works. Can't fault them.

Hi,

I attach a copy of the fog light buzzer circuit I have just implemented on my 2b, this only requires a single relay and still allows the single pole switch to be used.

When the main or high beam is on the relay will be energised allowing the fog light to operate, otherwise the relay will be off and no fog light will be on, irrespective of the fog light switch position.

However if the relay is off and the switch is turned on, then the buzzer circuit is active, allowing the buzzer to be grounded through the switch and the lamp itself making an audible tone.

As the buzzer only takes a few mA (30mA for the one used) this is insufficient to light the 21W fog lamp itself which takes 1.75A.

So whenever the you do not have both the ignition and headlights on, the buzzer will sound to tell you the fog light switch has been left on. This should meet these latest IVA requirements.

The buzzer was only £1.50 from Proops (Ebay) and a few pence for the rectifier diode so this should be a very cheap, quick solution.

The numbers on my diagram are based on the Sierra stalks and colours are from the Vicky Green loom.

Hope this helps :)

Regards

Paul

What is the purpose of your "rectifier diode" as it serves no purpose. Also if you follow the constant live 12v through the buzzer, there is another path through the LED of your switch. and with 30 mA through that, it will be sufficient to activate your buzzer even with the ignition on and headlights off.

Of if the current is limited by the dash LED, then the buzzer might not sound, but your warning light on the dash will be on with the fog lights off.

Simon.

Good spot Simon,

Sorry was a typo' when I drew it out, I have corrected the drawing as per the circuit in the above post.

The Diode is for protection should one of the fuses go, but it can be omitted if required.

Regards

Paul

Edited by PaulF 2B

If you now turn the headlights off while driving but forget to turn off the fog lights, the relay will open and now you will have 12 volts through the buzzer which sounds.

There will not be enough current to light the fog lamp though, but the dash light and buzzer will be on - while still driving.

You intended that if the ignition is switched off, the buzzer will sound - that will work. But you can also switch off the headlights and break the relay circuit from the bottom causing the same effect.

I don't think you intended that to happen ? :)

Simon.