Fuel Sender Unit Seal.

Guest Chris Russ

Guest Chris Russ

Hi All; Im having problems sealing the fuel tank sender unit into the tank on my Exmo! -- I have replaced the sender unit due to malfunction of the old one, Ive used the original Sierra type, FUE0039, as supplied by Kitspares.

I cant find the large grommet seal listed on their site, does anyone know if these are still available & if so where from? -- & is this sender & seal used on later kits please???

Many Thanks, all advice much appreciated as I cant afford the spillage!!!

Guest mower man

Having had numerous problems like this in the past I've tried most things try and obtain some 2/3 mm nitrile rubber {?} sheet and makeup your own gasket dont use silcon sealer as it turns to gorrila snot !! are you using a seirra sender or an after market one ? the gasket I made up has numerous hole for scew monting to the tank and seems to work ok HTH mower man

Guest Chris Russ

Thanks for your advice, Im using the original Sierra sender unit,....it kind of pushed into a large rubber grommet that fits into the hole in the tank , the sender is then held in by four 6mm studs/nuts - the grommet appears to have perished causing the leak problem! -- I have tried to replace the grommet seal by making up a 1.5mm cork gasket but over a few weeks the fuel appears to have destroyed it!! ........maybe ill try the nitrile rubber, you've obviously found this to be petrol proof!

Thanks again!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PR-1770-B1-2-Semkit-Aircraft-Fuel-Tank-Sealant-Loads-of-Other-Uses-Free-Post-/271274377277?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item3f2936803d

that stuff is the mutts nuts and the best thing since sliced bread as far as sealing fuel tank flanges and senders etc

also with the robin hood tank, dont over tighten the studs... they pull out everso easily.... with that stuff, they only need to be nipped

• 1 month later...
Guest Mark Cosh

just carried this repair out. i used a range rover fuel tank rubber seal. i also put copious amount of maylamar sealant as well hope it holds!

Edited by MarkC