Exhaust Mounting Movement

kevin the chicken

I am still trying to get my new exhaust mounted between gales and storms. I have mounted it on two brackets fitted to the underside of the car, one around the end of the can where the next section fits in and one around the tailpipe. I have fitted both brackets so that the exhaust can sits centrally over a bobbin at either end so that movement is available in every horizontal plane. Up and down movement of the front pipe caused by any engine movement is taken care of by a flexible exhaust coupling which will fit on to the can. (not one of those pieces of spiral pipe but a proper one with fabricated ends which can be split and clamped).

Although I have used quite big stiff bobbins there still seems to be a lot of movement side to side of the can so before I connect the rest of the system, how much movement do i need? I cant really think of any way to reduce movement without taking one or both bobbins out ot the equation and to be quite honest I am getting fed up with what should have been a simple job. As usual all comments gratefully appreciated.

Kevin

mine is only mounted on the manifold and the tail pipe end of the can, no flexy joints in the system, and just 2 bobbins underneath the tailpipe at the back

they are bolted to a strap coming off the bottom of the car

I have the manifold bolted to the engine 'obviously' then straight onto the can with no flexible joint. then the can itself with a bobbin at the rear of the can just before the tail pipe.

the bracket is bolted to the floor with thte bobbin atop and the exhaust atop that .

Had no issues at all with it