Fuel Leaks

Guest Gargoil

I would also hold off on fitting an electric pump, one of your initial concerns. The mechanical pump should be up to the job already, but as you are having difficulty starting, there could be several reasons. Is the engine turning freely when you start it or does it labour?

I would also hold off on fitting an electric pump, one of your initial concerns. The mechanical pump should be up to the job already, but as you are having difficulty starting, there could be several reasons. Is the engine turning freely when you start it or does it labour?

Runs sweet when warm and starts every time without any issues, but when it has been sitting all week, the first attempt to start it takes a while and without the choke it would stall every time..

Probably me being picky and spent way too much time in modern day cars that do everything including making the breakfast in the morning. :crazy:

Guest Gargoil

Runs sweet when warm and starts every time without any issues, but when it has been sitting all week, the first attempt to start it takes a while and without the choke it would stall every time..

Probably me being picky and spent way too much time in modern day cars that do everything including making the breakfast in the morning. :crazy:

Ok, that's good. I have a similar problem and last week I installed a one way valve in the fuel line. Today I will try to start it. If it has made a difference, I will let you know. Could be you only need to spend a few quid to sort this one out...

Guest Gargoil

Unfortunately Dean, I had a flat battery when I tried starting up Lizzy this morning. So I cant give you a real view on the one way valve I installed. However after the AA man gave the battery a jump, it started straight away.

If you can wait, I will try it again next Wednesday.

Unfortunately Dean, I had a flat battery when I tried starting up Lizzy this morning. So I cant give you a real view on the one way valve I installed. However after the AA man gave the battery a jump, it started straight away.

If you can wait, I will try it again next Wednesday.

No problem, our car will be on axle stands all next week and valve fitting is last on the agenda.

I got lots of other maintenance to get on with in preparation for the MOT, so will look forward to the feedback in the future.

Courtesy of the good weather on Sunday, we managed to fit in our first wash & wax.

Now she/he looks a lot more respectable:

Bugger, this is a bigger jobs than anticipated, fuel sender is rotten and the side wall tunnel has been chopped into 3 separate sections with millions of both stainless and aluminium rivets. Time to buy lots of drill bits and replace them with new stainless steel panels and rivnuts.

Hopefully to celebrate our wedding anniversary this weekend, I will replace the fuel sender and fuel pipe and fire it up to see if it runs OK.

Or a more sensible option would be to give the other half a break from the kids and wine and dine her :)

Guest davidimurray

Only just caught up with this thread. One comment, I made my fuel lines out of copper and they can be tricky to bend as they like to kink. Kunifer (copper nickel) as used on brake systems is much easier to work with if you can get it.

Yaaay....Busy weekend.....Wined and dined the wife!

Finally replaced the fuel sender and fuel lines...

Replaced and re-wired the battery and added a new cover to hold it in place.

Fixed the windscreen washers.

Fired her up and she purrs like a lion.....Grrrrrr..!

Next on the agenda is to provide the car with some interior comforts (carpets etc...) and secure a new tunnel wall and properly secure the seatbelts and seating.

But wife and I are extremely happy she fired up first time and once the interior is done.....It will be MOT time :-)

Anybody now where we stand when it comes to emissions on the old engines?

G-reg plate with 2.0ltr pinto , no visible smoke (so hopefully a clean get away at the MOT centre).

Don't think there is anything I might need to be aware of at the MOT centre apart from the usual stuff (tyres, lights, bearings, cv boots, washers, wipers, seatbelts, brake or fuel leaks...etc.)