Removing The Engine

Guest ali2992

Guest ali2992

I'm (finally) at the stage where the only thing left to do on the donor is to remove the engine - just in time too really as GBS rang the other day to say my kit will be ready Saturday!

Anyway, I have been looking at hiring engine hoists but at the best price i could find it almost makes more sense to buy one and then hire it out after for the price I'd pay for 2 days (2 separate days), a friend insists that i will be able to use a different method where the engine is effectively lowered under the car and rolled out (or the car rolled over it) - anyone any experience of this? I remain unconvinced to be honest

Thanks

Alastair

Guest ali2992

MX5 MK1 - we've cut away the front cross member and there does look to be a lot of space to get the engine underneath to be honest - i'm just concerned about the engine tipping over on the trolley or using a trolley that can't take the weight. The carpet thing is a good idea though - brilliant! ok i think that might work

Thanks!!

Lower engine and box onto a few layers of thick cardboard.or carpet as mentioned.anything to soften it.any trolley jack will easily support that.slide /drag car away.dont worry if engine falls over.

Alternatively where are you.somone may lend you an engine lift for a beer token or two.

Guest alfaGTA

Buy a new hoist with the money made from selling donor parts you don't need, you'll still need to fit the engine to the zero as well as give it a service and lick of paint before fitting-all these jobs will be easier with it in the air!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-TON-FOLDING-HYDRAULIC-ENGINE-CRANE-HOIST-LIFT-/380336470153?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item588dd1f889

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Ton-Professional-Folding-Engine-Crane-Hoist-Lift-/171068816813?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item27d47efdad

Then sell it when you have done with it or keep hold of it to remove engine again to fit a supercharger

If you have the money to buy, I would, as above, buy one, then sell it if you need the space or want to recoup the costs. Better than hiring after all :) Also, when you get to lowering the chassis down from the build stands, a crane does come in handy again :) Also if you think the engine will need repositioning at some point....like mine will...(its running very close to the chassis rails so will need to be shimmed on the mounts to raise it again)

Guest ali2992

Yeah i think I may have to go that route, i'll be needing it at least twice - supercharger or turbocharger does sound nice!.

WRT the drop and roll, i'd forgotten about the steering rack, which could be removed but would then have to be put back to get the car out the garage, and there's also a structural support beam that the steering rack is bolted to - buying and reselling seems the best option i think.