Fuel Pump Wiring

cb750

I am nearly ready to wire the fuel pump up and want to fit a safety cut off circuit. I was thinking of using the oil light circuit but this would mean adding a relay and bypass switch? Alternatively I was also thinking of using an inertia switch from a production car. Has anyone done this and what have you used (if it's an inertia switch, how did you mount it?)

Rob

I'm using a Ford Mondeo focus fiesta cut off switch they're all the same and a lot easier to find. I have it wired in series to the pump Sierra injection and mounted to one of the vertical chassis members behind the dash. When you mount it try and replicate the orientation it was mounted in the Ford and locate it on a solid part of the car that won't be crushed in an accident. I know people will say it needs to be wired to a relay but earlier cars that used it where wired direct to the pump. 6 years and mine is still going without issues.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK1-Fuel-Cut-Off-Switch-98-05-/281183008153?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4177d03599

Thanks for the link. I now realise Sierra ones are rare so will use your suggestion. Jubilee is not too far away so will pop over and see if they have a plug for it as well and can show me the orientation for it in a car.

Went over to Jubilee Spares today. Like going back in time, just like the scrapyards I remember! Bought a Focus fuel cut off switch, the plug for it and also a plug for my brake reservoir switch, all for £5. Now to get it positioned and wired up.